Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to factory reset HP Laptop

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 aornova

aornova

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:36 AM

Hello!
I'm only writing in to ask for help from you guys, on how to factory reset (not system restore, as I'll explain later) my HP Pavilion dv3 Windows 7 laptop.

This laptop was my uncles, however, he has since passed on, and his brother wishes to use this laptop, however, completely "fresh and as new" system. Hence, I tried to reset the laptop, however am unable to.
The recovery discs (everything basically except "User Guide") have gone missing, so it's pretty impossible to reset it...

-Pressing F11 brings up "Bootmgr is missing, Ctrl alt del to restart",
-Whenever I turn it on, it automatically goes to Launch startup repair/start normally option, which both don't do anything,
-F8 brings some error that a partition is missing (0x something error), and a "start windows normally by enter" which brings it to a black screen followed back to the error screen,
-If indeed F8 works, and I follow Safe mode with cmd to rstrui.exe, it uses System restore, which again, isn't what I want
-When I go to System restore, it only goes back like a dozen updates, to "Critical windows update", which is around 2010. However, the laptop was bought in 2009 (?), and I feel something is missing, because when I go to restore from 2010 it makes zero difference.

The laptop is laggy, has some chinese-language HP boot menu before entering the "Starting Windows logo", which disrupts the F8/F11 pattern of button pressing. And I cannot uninstall this boot menu thing, because all thats left in the Programs are the basic stuff to let the pc run.

Help please, how can I reset this laptop to when it was bought? Completely from the start, not from a restore point? Note that I do not have the recovery discs as I mentioned before.

p.s it keeps updating even after I select shut down without installing updates. And if I select with updates, it gets stuck on a 1/12 update roll forever.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aornova

aornova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:43 AM

Oh, and pressing F10 to supposedly get recovery system out brings "Edit Boot options" instead.
Path :\windows\system32\winload.exe
Partition: 2
hard disk: 90e12991
[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:45 AM

Hi,

If Windows still works see if you can create the Recovery Disks, this can only be done one time but most users don't do it...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 aornova

aornova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:57 AM

Hey SleeepyDude! Much thanks for quick reply. I get what you're on about, however, there's one big problem, actually two...

When I go to click next on the Recovery Manager for "Create Recovery media using blank DVDS", the computer freezes for a short while, before displaying an error dialog box stating
"Recovery Manager cannot create the discs"
The recovery partition was not found.
Please exit Recovery Media Creation and then try contacting the HP Support.

The problem that derives from this is that the HP Support number for where I live, I simply can't find it. And i'm not too sure we're willing to purchase/pay for a rebuild/fix from HP as it's a old-ish laptop with no warranty...

Any more suggestions?
I did force reset my other different HP laptop running Windows 7 too, but that wasn't this hard or complicated, no use of Discs or any recovery option. But I've completely forgotten.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:58 AM

Can you post an image of Disk Management?

Do you have a COA sticker on the bottom of the laptop with a legible key?

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:59 AM

Id zero-bite format the HDD and pruge all and rebuild from scrach, sounds like windows is zaped to me.

#7 aornova

aornova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:11 AM

Hi John, I would do that, but currently I'm slightlt stuck on a Bootmgr missing page because I did this;

In Run, typed compmgmt.msc
Disk Management - if I can remember visually correctly, all partitions are blue and "healthy".
Right clicked the Recovery Partition and marked it as 'Active'. Restarted, and now the bloody thing is back to the "BOOTMGR is missing" display...

edit : pressed ctrl alt del, now the stupid chiness HP spashtop boot menu is all I see. Every time I boot i see the BOOTMGR is missing error. Nothing else now.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:12 AM

Disk Management - if I can remember visually correctly, all partitions are blue and "healthy". 
Right clicked the Recovery Partition and marked it as 'Active'. Restarted, and now the bloody thing is back to the "BOOTMGR is missing" display...

That confirms what I was looking for. Thanks. I was thinking marking the recovery partition active would work. Is there a COA sticker on the bottom of the laptop showing a legible key?

#9 aornova

aornova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:13 AM

Oh yes, I do have a COA sticker, pink on the underside.
windows 7 home prem oa sea... microsoft... label not to be sold seperately etc etc...

And I'm really stuck now. Any more suggestions? This is going bad fast.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:21 AM

Go here and download the Windows iso downloader. Your AV may flag it but it's a false positive. Select Windows 7 home premium and download the iso file.

You can burn the iso file to a DVD by right clicking the iso file on any Windows 7 computer or later and selecting Burn Disk Image.

Have you backed up your data on the computer? If you have then boot the DVD and when you get to the screen asking for language press Shift + F10. This will bring up a command prompt. Type the following commands. 

diskpart   This will bring up the diskpart prompt

list disk

select disk X     If you only have one hard drive it will be 0

clean all            This will zero wipe the drive and set up the computer for a clean install. Make sure you have the correct disk if you                                                have more than one hard drive.

exit

exit

continue with the install.

Use the key on the COA sticker. You will need to do a phone activation.

If you do not have an available DVD I can give instructions on creating a bootable USB flash drive for install.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 December 2016 - 09:23 AM.

#11 aornova

aornova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:24 AM

I do not have a DVD avaliable to burn to. A bootable USB drive option may be better.

However, I only have this broken laptop in the house. No other. So I don't think I'll be able to create the iso file? Please advise.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:36 AM

That is a problem. You will need to have access to another computer to download the iso file and create the bootable USB flash drive. If not then you will need to contact HP and have them send you a set of recovery disks. I don't know where you are located but here is a page showing HP's support locations.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Edit: Are you currently posting from a phone?

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 December 2016 - 09:37 AM.

#13 aornova

aornova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:53 AM

Hi John.
Yup, replying from phone.

We've decided to send the thing to a shop to get it rebuilt/fixed. Not really a tech wizard, so I don't really know how to rebuild.
The HP support we're not fully able to utilise as my uncle doesn't really want the hassle of doing the phone, email, details stuff - not really interested, really..
If you're wondering where I'm from, I'm from Malaysia. The last reason why we're not willing to try the support because my friend and relatives tried it before, one did not get a response, one was asked to pay for a product/disc set and the other was told to bring the laptop to a HP centre.

Yeah so not really wanting to do all of that for a laptop that's 5 years old... and (edit) the BOOTMGR thing now overiding the chinese bootmenu thing, so I can't really turn it on anymore.

Thanks for everything John, you've provided a good insight and help, hope this serves as a guide for anyone else encountering a similar issue.

On the other hand, if you do have any other suggestions on fixing this, go ahead, but I doubt so. Haha

Many thanks.
edit : startup test SHORT DST failed, Hard disk 1.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:01 AM

Your Welcome, It seems your are also going to need a new hard drive.

Edit: Did you use the HP diagnostics available by tapping Esc at boot?

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 December 2016 - 10:02 AM.

#15 aornova

aornova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:17 AM

Yup, used HP diagnostics. All the tests ended on Short DST failed with hard disk 1.
Recovery doesn't work, obviously now, boot options only has Notebook drive.
Gah.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users