Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Qubes OS - share your experiences , problems and opinions.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 synaptic

synaptic

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:41 AM

I first came across Qubes about two years ago and was immediately fascinated by such a unique approach to creating a highly secure operating system

where every process can run in it's own virtual machine.

A couple of points are worth noting for anyone taking some first steps :-

1) It will not run in a virtual machine , and the Qubes website has a note about this , and requests that users do not ask for help.

2) It will run Live from a USB Flash drive with a couple of provisos -
     You will need a 32GB drive ( or larger ) , that may seem excessive compared to other Live GNU/Linux distros but there is good reason .
     And you will need to "burn" the ISO to the drive using Rufus ( in Windows ) or the "dd-method" in Linux  ...

..... most of the other tools for creating Live USBs will fail .

Ideally you should do a bare-metal install on a 64-bit system to experience the full deliciousness of Qubes .
I personally don't have a suitable machine to dedicate entirely to Qubes so as a compromise , I have installed it to an external HDD

in a USB caddy and it works just fine .

That will probably leave some people thinking that a dual-boot system might be a good idea .... but it is not .

I won't go into the reasons right now .

Please post your experiences here ; I am keen to read what other members have found .
Newcomers and seasoned users are equally welcome to comment   :)

And to finish , I would like to express my utmost respect and gratitude  to Joanna Rutkowska and her team at Invisiblethingslab

for giving us this system !

Edited by synaptic, 05 December 2016 - 07:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

I wasn't aware it wouldn't run in a VM. Why is that? I downloaded the ISO a while back, but haven't gotten around to trying it. It might be outdated by now...and it will likely be a while before I get around to trying it out. I have a spare 32GiB SDHC card, and a spare 128GB external SSD so I can always use one of them to test it out.

I'm eager to hear what others think of it.

#3 synaptic

synaptic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:22 AM

I should have included a link to the Qubes Installation guide , it is all you really need and easy to follow .

​As regards Qubes and virtual machines :-

Qubes implements the Xen Hypervisor which is definitely not a happy camper inside a virtual machine.

That is not to say that you can't run a VM inside a VM , because you certainly can.

​It is even claimed that some IBM hardware can run infinitely nested virtual machines , although why anyone would want to do so is unfathomable .

Every additional layer of nesting will drag down the performance drastically , but will achieve nothing practical .

Notes :-

- The most recent download ( Qubes-R3.2-x86_64.iso ) is smaller than R3.1 , which was too big to fit on a standard DVD-R  .... Oops !

- The Live USB version of Qubes usually lags behind the latest stable release , and is an alpha .

Update - The latest news on Qubes is that they are now seeking a "commercialized" funding model - more details are here .

​                   ... right now I can't decide if that is good news or bad .

Edited by synaptic, 06 December 2016 - 05:53 AM.

#4 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:51 PM

They recommend you install it as a stand alone os not partitioned with any other os as if alongside another os it will reduce it's safety/security.

Here's the vid explaining the basics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users