Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Favorite website hosted/ran by DNS hijacker.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ottza

Ottza

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:33 AM

Just as a warning, I'm illiterate when it comes to tech talk. I just felt the need to share this and maybe ask for advice. Tonight I was visiting a website I frequent often like I do every night only to find that it was down with the message "Error establishing a database connection." Me, not knowing what that meant, decided to look it up and found that it maybe had something to do with the host of the website. After a little digging around I find that the host is a company called Search Guide Inc which happened to be in the exact same city as where my website was ran from. Then after looking up Search Guide Inc. I wind up here, with the conclusion that Search Guide Inc infects computers and the such. Luckily, I rarely ever visited this so called site on my computer and only ever on my iPad and my phone and the only thing that ever alarmed me were the ads that popped up in another window. I COULD not for the love of my life close them so I had to force quit Chrome and reopen it.

Now then, I would maybe still like to continue visiting this site (and unfortunately give him money he does not deserve lolol) but how would I go about doing so? I have an antivirus installed but I know one is not always enough. Is it best to really just avoid it?

Sorry if this was long-winded or if this is a waste of anyone's time orrrr if this is in a wrong forum section. : )

Edit: Went to a different "backwards IP" site that is saying completely different things now. Ahh.

Edited by Ottza, 05 December 2016 - 02:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,938 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:08 PM

...Is it best to really just avoid it?...

Yes.

Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. Hackers are also known to exploit Flash vulnerabilities which can lead to malware infection. When visiting a website that hosts an HTML page which requires a Flash script, users may encounter a malicious Flash redirector or malicious script specifically written to exploit a vulnerability in the Flash Interpreter which causes it to execute automatically in order to infect a computer.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users