Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows\system32\advpack.dll when trying to install a program. Virus?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 foolanger

foolanger

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:19 AM

When I try to run the .exe file and install a program for work I get a Windows/system32/advpack.dll error message.  Do I have a virus?

I am running Windows 7 64 bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:31 AM

Try to install 32-bit version and I think Your problem is gone. This is not virus, but some systems do not allow to install 64-bit version, but 32-bit version runs well.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:51 AM

file scan of advpack.dll

https://www.reasoncoresecurity.com/advpack.dll-a73b1001caf6dd43020a7084be2afe6873b45b7c.aspx

#4 foolanger

foolanger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:01 AM

I don't think there is a 32 bit version but I will ask... I've installed this on a lot of other computers and never had this issue...

TxVk! I download and ran the initial scan and nothing came up.  Is there something else I should be doing with that program? 

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:12 AM

There's a software error. You are not infected.

I don't think there is anything here we can do to help you to install an application that does not work with your OS. It is an installer bug/error/incompatibility. Your best solution will to be to report it to the software developer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users