Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rhythmic Computer Working Noise then Extremely Slow (2 minutes per action)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LenovoFreeze

LenovoFreeze

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:20 PM

HI,

I have a lenovo think pad from 2013 with windows 7.

I can start up the laptop but then after 2-3 minutes even in safe mode, the computer makes a rhythmic computer working noise (like its processing info) and repeats on a loop. I dont even have to log in for this to happen. The green cylinder light is on constantly when this happens. It slows to the point of one action every two minutes.

I have done a disk check during start up and it found some unreadable files. This rhythmic noise happened on and off while the check was happening even. I think it slowed down the disk check even though it was able to complete. Several minutes on each bad file. The check did not solve the problem.

How do I solve this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:33 AM

Try these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Start with the hard drive tests, but complete ALL of them - and please let us know the results.

I suspect the hard drive because of the disk check results.
The disk check actually doesn't check the disk - it checks the file system on the disk.
So, unreadable files may (but also may not) be due to a failing hard drive.

Additionally, a system that's taking a long time to do things and that also has the hard drive chugging along (as evidenced by the green cylinder light being on constantly) are symptoms of a failing hard drive.  What it's doing is re-reading/checking/writing the sectors that it's having a problem with.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users