Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Problems with installing Windows 10 on laptop...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 drumcorp1986

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:32 PM

So here's the problem:

My friend wanted to put Windows 10 Pro on his laptop. We installed MiniTool Partition Wizard program on his laptop. Entered the program, chose partition C: - wipe disk, since there's OS on C: it won't do it from Windows, we restarted the laptop and program did his thing. Then we put USB with Windows 10 Pro on it, booted from USB, Win 10 installation window appeared. Then clicked all stuff you normally do when installing brand new OS. And then when part with on which disk/partition you want to install Windows came, there was a problem.

Error message was:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI system, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks"

Then we followed these instructions: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn336946.aspx

But the problem was, when we deleted partition (146.5GB) which is partition C: we couldn't proceed with installation.

Everything would be fine if partition D: (785GB) wasn't full of videos, pictures, backups etc... we would delete all partition and installed it there. But we can't do that.

So now I'm asking you experts what to do? Is there any solution? Can we somehow get to partition D: since there's no OS on laptop now? Maybe to connect laptop on my PC via USB cable and then transfer stuff from D: partition. Will my PC recognize laptop like removable USB disk?

Please help if you can!

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,067 posts
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:02 PM

That should work but you may need some sort of 'caddy' to connect it with. If you look at this link you willl see the sort of thing I mean -

If you look at the row of pictures at the top of the page I have one of the items shown in the second image from the left, very handy for me as it takes both 2.5 and 3.5 inch disks. I see the price has gone down quite a bit since I bought my one !  If there is nearly 700GB of data on your friends laptop you will need an external drive to transfer this data to as it is unlikely to fit on your own drive. And, since you will have to feed the data through your laptop to an external drive be prepared for this amount of data to take quite a long time. Once you have the data safely copied you will be able to format the drive to a blank condition using the same connection to your laptop.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users