Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using a tablet to draw in Blackboard Collaborate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 carolineevans

carolineevans

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:03 PM

Hi there, I use Blackboard Collaborate to teach lessons. I had been using a TRUST 16937 graphics tablet to write and draw on the white board - with no problems. But then the pen broke and you can't buy individual pen replacements, so I bought a Huion tablet to replace it:

Huion Drawing Graphics Tablet 8"x5" USB Digital Writing Design Tablet Board with Rechargeable Stylish Pen for Windows & Mac - K58 White

It works fine when I am on my own in the classroom, but as soon as a student enters, the pen begins to malfunction - it still writes but not very smoothly or consistently. I don't have a problem with the pen is other applications like Inkscape. 

Any advice? Thanks! 

Edited by carolineevans, 05 December 2016 - 11:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:35 PM

This is one of the weirdest problems I have come across - someone entering a room can interfere with one application on a graphics tablet but not on others.

I can think of one likely source of interference - your students carrying mobile phones. As an experiment you could ask them to switch them off for five or ten minutes to see if this makes any difference. I presume they are not allowed to use them in class in any case.

As to how it seems only to affect one application I am at a loss because it should be the tablet and its pen and the wireless connection between them that would suffer interference, not the software.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 carolineevans

carolineevans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:22 PM

Hi Chris, ah - thanks. I should have explained more clearly - sorry - wondered why I didn't get many replies! Blackboard Collaborate has virtual classrooms -  so a student arrives by signing in from their computer into one of the classrooms on my computer. There is a virtual whiteboard on my computer I use to explain things - I use the tablet and pen for that - but although it was working fine before the student 'arrived', once they logged in the pen didn't work very well. 

Anyways, I started having issues with my microphone as well today, so reinstalled the usb driver, and I think this may have fixed the issue somehow.  

Cheers, Caroline  :thumbup2:

Edited by carolineevans, 06 December 2016 - 08:22 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:07 PM

Well, if the problem returns you can always either post back or start another topic.

You will more easily understand my confusion when I say I have been married to a schoolteacher for some little while now and I am conditioned into thinking that classrooms are roughly square spaces with twenty or thirty desks and a black or white board at one end !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 carolineevans

carolineevans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:12 PM

Cheers Chris! I do find - just as a general problem with the tablet - that it can often take a while to recognise the pen after turning the pen on -  I might have to turn the pen on and off a few times and move it about for a bit before it registers - wondering  if I should send it back while I still can or if there is something I can do to mitigate this.

Thanks, Caroline

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:51 PM

The one non-dealer's review I found on this talet is pretty mixed, you can find it here -

http://www.parkablogs.com/content/which-graphics-drawing-tablet-buy-2015-non-display-types

Complaints are mainly of the build quality with several customers reporting faulty units after a period of time, and the hassle of getting it fixed with Huion support. However, there are many customers also are satisfied with their units.

Maybe it is time to raise the matter with your supplier.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users