Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Chrome 55 really blocking Flash by default?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:25 PM

I read the article "Chrome 55 Now Blocks Flash, Uses HTML5 by Default" on the Bleeping Computer home page. I checked Chrome v55 x64 on my Win10 box and its still set to "Detect and Run important Flash Content (recommended)". I uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it to see if that made a difference. It's still set to "Detect and Run Flash."

It doesn't seem to be blocking it by default in Chrome 55 x64. Has anyone seen the default change to block flash? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:56 PM

Hi, Smsec.

Not yet. Don't forget, for each version of Chrome, there are often 3 or 4 'point' releases during that version's 'life-cycle'; if it's not in this version, it will be in one of the next couple of releases.

I'm looking forward to this one myself; it's a long-overdue step in the right direction.....and it seems the Chrome team have been planning this for several months now. I re-package Chrome for the Puppy Linux community, and, in Linux at least, PepperFlash has long been safer than the version used by all other browsers.....but it still suffers exploits, even so. Adobe's crusty old 'Flash' really has been living on borrowed time for long enough.....and it's not as though there isn't anything to replace it. The main reason Flash is still hanging around is because it's used by an awful lot of games designers (and I'm not talking about games like Call of Duty, etc.....we're talking about stuff like Candy Crush, right??  :P )

If you're interested in keeping up with the exact details of Chrome's release cycle, keep an eye on this link:-

https://googlechromereleases.blogspot.co.uk/

There's the changes log, and usually details of all problems that have been 'fixed' in that particular release. Be aware that this blog also covers the Chrome OS for Chromebooks.....you're looking for 'Stable Channel for desktop'.

Hope that helps.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 04 December 2016 - 04:08 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 Smsec

Smsec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:13 PM

Good to know. The tech news makes it sound like the block Flash default was rolled in with the release of v55. I'm ready for Flash to die - too many security issues. 

Thanks

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:18 PM

You're very welcome!

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users