Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

protect browsers chrome

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deathcon4

deathcon4

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:07 PM

I want to make my chrome more safe. There are many extensions for this, but don't really protect the browser. How can do it? Thank you. I want an extension to this too.

Edited by hamluis, 04 December 2016 - 03:06 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:34 PM

Hm. Well, now...

When you say you want to 'make Chrome more safe'.....in what respect, exactly?

Chrome was the browser that introduced 'sand-boxing' for each individual tab. If a process gets out of hand, or freezes up in one tab, it shouldn't affect the rest of the browser. This was often the case with FireFox; something would go awry, and the entire browser would usually crash. Recent versions of FireFox are supposed to have implemented 'sand-boxing', following the lead set by the Chrome model. Not being a FireFox fan (frankly, it's way too 'clunky' & agricultural for my liking), I can neither confirm nor deny whether this is effective or not...

Need more specific information, please; it's never as simple as installing an extension, I'm afraid. Depends on the degree of security you wish to have, and just how much time you're prepared to put into the project.....there are an awful lot of individual settings you can change (the sheer number of combinations is mind-boggling.)

There are literally hundreds of extensions available in the Chrome Store, each purporting to improve one aspect of Chrome or another. A word about extensions, here: you could install every single one of these, if you so wished.....but Chrome would literally grind to a standstill. Fact of life; the more extensions you install, the more RAM required to run them, and the slower the browser becomes.....it then has to execute every single one of these processes, each and every time you move from one web page to another. It's a balancing act; judge which extensions are the most effective for your personal use-case, and use only them.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 04 December 2016 - 06:51 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:39 PM

I've use NoScript in Firefox for many years. If I had to choose just one security program for a Windows platform....that would be it. There is a similar add-on for Chrome.

Script Blocker for Chrome™ - Chrome Web Store

Install an ad blocker if you don't have one. Adblock Plus would be a good choice. Adblock Plus - Chrome Web Store Once it is installed...click on the ABP icon and

choose Filter Preferences. UNcheck the box next to Allow some non-intrusive advertisements.

Block Third Party cookies...aka...ad/ tracking cookies...from installing. Then delete the ones presently installed. If you have CCleaner installed just run it to clean out those cookies or

delete all cookies manually. How to disable third-party cookies in all major web browsers

The most problems I see in all browsers is caused by free programs bundled with adware. There is one site where you can get many of the most popular 

programs without bundled adware....Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once 

The add-ons hosted at Google's store is not necessarily 100% safe. But you will find a lot more unsafe add-ons at other sites. At least Google attempts to

monitor what is offered there.....not so at other download sites.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:55 PM

Personally, I prefer uBlock Origin; it does exactly the same job as ABP (even uses the same 'block-lists').....it's just lighter on resources, that's all.

Works for me. I used to use Ghostery, until they introduced the new, 'improved' (*cough, cough*) layout with version 6.0. They've lost a lot of users over that one, I think.....

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 04 December 2016 - 06:56 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users