Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need more basic information to choose the correct ram

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 harvon

harvon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:46 PM

Hello everybody. I know this is a very basic question that probably has been answered several thousands times, but the discussion starts out simple  and it simply goes over my head real fast. What happened is I got an ebay gift card for $50 and I am looking to get about 8 to 16gb of ram to upgrade my hp desktop. It is just for simple home use- the most intensive task that I will do frequently is running dragon naturally speaking (a speech recognition software so you can narrate your document instead of typing in case you are not familiar with it). As of now I have 4gb of ram (2gb in two out of 4 slots) and running dragon itself with some chrome browsers already take up about 3gb, so I guess that is why the computer is very sluggist and dragon's performance is highly erratic (but maybe other issues besides the ram are involved too that I do not know-i read dragon's manual and it seems like I have the acceptable hardware otherwise)

I did my research on RAM and it seemed easy enough: i need "1.5-volt DDR3-1600 modules with CAS 9 timings" but trying to search for things like that on ebay would produce so many different results with additional specifications and so many different pricing. For example it looks like I can get either 8gb or 16gb of the crucial brand for about $50-$60 so there must be more to the story here. So I was just wondering if anyone would be able to give me a few pointers on how to narrow down my search. Maybe a specific brand or line of RAM and what additional specifications would matter? Here are the specs of my computer that I think matter:

Intel® Core™ i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (Sandy Bridge)

Chipset:

Northbridge            Intel Sandy Bridge rev. 09
Southbridge            Intel Q67 rev. B2
Memory Type            DDR3
Memory Size            4 GBytes
Channels            Dual
Memory Frequency        665.1 MHz (1:5)
CAS# latency (CL)        9.0

Mainboard Model        1495 (0x000000D3 - 0x00002208)

I would appreciate any advice. Please pardon my ignorance on the matter. I am interested in learning about computer hardware and I guess this is a good starting point. Thank you for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:02 PM

I'm learning alongside you; did you get your earlier RAM sticks from Sandy Bridge? If yes, pretend you're going to buy bigger sticks from Sandy Bridge, get their exact specs -- then shop around.  I had to return a couple of laptop sticks because the internal architecture was different from what the motherboard called for -- ended up buying from manufacturer, everything worked fine!  You might be able to shop around, just be sure to keep your receipt[s] and original packaging in great condition.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:02 AM

That Sandy Bridge CPU/mobo are going to be mostly relegated to DDR3 1333 @ 1.5v @ cas 9. Here is some really good ram you can use on that setup.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

Edited by Zone_86, 05 December 2016 - 05:03 AM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

Normally what I do is go to Crucial and find the RAM that works and then search with their part number, or the manufacturer's part number.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:26 AM

Man its unreal how cheap ram is now, i remember the days were 1meg of 30pin ram would cost you a pile.

Guess im getting old :mellow:

#6 harvon

harvon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:14 PM

thank you for all your replies. Is 1495 my mobo's model number? I am trying to search for it but didn't see any specifications. Probably a cheap no named piece. The crucial website gives me result that includes 32gb of ram but I do not think my mobo supports that much ram. I am shooting for 16gb if possible.

Edited by harvon, 08 December 2016 - 03:15 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:08 PM

What model HP system is this, please?

How could you find RAM data at Crucial...if you did not use the system model to look up data?

Louis

#8 harvon

harvon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:33 PM

What model HP system is this, please?

How could you find RAM data at Crucial...if you did not use the system model to look up data?

Louis

it's a Hp compaq elite 8200 sff

I downloaded the scan utility from crucial so i didn't need to put any info in. It scanned my system and recommended upward to 32gb. I am not even sure that the mobo supports up to 16gb.

would something like this work for my pc (I guess the worst is I can install 2 sticks and save the other?). Sorry I just have more greed than brain  :P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231312&cm_re=F3-10666CL9Q-16GBRL-_-20-231-312-_-Product

Edited by harvon, 08 December 2016 - 08:10 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:29 PM

Per Crucial:  http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/hp-compaq-8200-elite-small-form-factor

Those are only 2GB modules.  You have 4 slots, max of 32GB.

I pretty much do as Kilroy...find a spec at crucial, then look around.  Chances are you can find same available at Amazon for less, IME.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=4gb+ddr3l-1600+udimm&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=153728563840&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8340454153242191003&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027420&hvtargid=kwd-152509517558&ref=pd_sl_38hpc8ublh_b

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users