Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bluetooth Disappeared (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Crusher21

Crusher21

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:40 PM

Hello,

So about two days ago Bluetooth completely disappeared from Windows. When I checked device manager, there was an exclamation mark under Universal Serial Bus controllers on an item "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). I eventually fixed it and got bluetooth working again but I can't remember how, I do remember reinstalling the Bluetooth driver but I had to do more than just that. This problem occurred again last night and I was unable to fix it. I checked Event Viewer and it appeared that there were some other problems with Windows. Explorer.exe had been crashing hourly as well so I decided I would fix it all by reinstalling Windows. However, after reinstalling Windows 10 as well as all my drivers(including Bluetooth), the error persists. How can I permanently fix this problem?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CrushImages

CrushImages

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:29 PM

Hi there!

Are you sure your computer is not infected? I would recommend you visit the anti-malware section just to rule out the possibility of malware.

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:03 PM

Does this suggestion help at all?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/9419-unknown-usb-device-device-descriptor-request-failed.html#post710573

#4 Crusher21

Crusher21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:12 PM

Hi there!

Are you sure your computer is not infected? I would recommend you visit the anti-malware section just to rule out the possibility of malware.

Hello,

I do not believe I am infected, I have Malwarebytes Premium and have ran thorough scans. 

Do you suggest I uninstall ASMedia USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller as I have attached? If so, which one?

Thank you

Attached Files

#5 CrushImages

CrushImages

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:16 PM

Hello

Where did you get your Bluetooth driver from? was it a download?

There is really only a few things that can cause this:

1. Your driver could be out of date/corrupted.

2. Windows doesn't support the current driver. 

#6 Crusher21

Crusher21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:41 PM

Very sorry for the delay. I believe I had accidentally installed the wrong driver. I'm still curious as to why Bluetooth managed to work perfectly for as long as it did without the right driver.

Thank you for your help!

#7 CrushImages

CrushImages

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:13 AM

I am happy you found the right driver, you have a good day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users