Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Radeon graphics drivers break boot up sequence

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kovyx

Kovyx

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

Hello, i'm Averi and i work in computer repair services, and i'm having trouble with a customer's device. I bolded the important parts so you can easily skim through the paragraph and get the idea of the problem.

It's an HP Pavilion dv7 (Intel CORE i7) running Windows 7. Customer had tried to upgrade to Windows 10, but stopped functioning somehow, so it was initially brought in to revert it back to Win7. I did that, just used an install disc to write over the existing Windows partition. Had some trouble with a few particular drivers, but i got most of that fixed with the HP Support Assistant. Customer took it and was happy with it for a while, up until they came back saying the screen resolution wasn't what it was before. The computer came with an AMD Radeon graphics card preinstalled on the device, however these drivers weren't reinstalled by HPSA. Naturally i went to the HP website to download the drivers, ran the install, and restarted the computer as the installation prompted. But then, it never boots up again. It gets to the Win7 logo, and just stays there forever. So i ran the start up repair in the BIOS boot menu, that didn't work, so i used a restore point. That gets it to boot up again, but the AMD drivers are gone again.

So, to sum all of that up; the computer is supposed to have HD "1080p" resolution, however it only goes up to 1024x768px, which is only 480p. My guess is it isn't detecting the Radeon graphics card, however i don't know how to fix that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:26 PM

Hello there,

If it is not saving driver settings, it is reasonable to first suspect the BIOS/CMOS settings either needing reset and/or change the CMOS battery. Please try to remove the battery and reinstall it to see if this resolves the issue. If it does not, and a full jumper reset is done, let me know so we can move on to next part of troubleshooting.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:33 PM

> IF you did not overwrite the HP restore partition that originally came with the unit, try to restore Windows7 from that. All drivers should be in that restore partition. Then get rid of all the trialware and garbageware that comes with these retail boxes and you should be good. If you wiped the restore partition, you have a problem.

> You are correct, the unit is not seeing the card. I suggest that you browse to the AMD Radion website (as opposed to the HP website) and see if it has the drivers for that card posted there.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users