Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I re-install Win7 Home Premium on an erased laptop with no optical drive?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 capricorntony13

capricorntony13

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:45 PM

Hello, 

I am trying to re-install Win 7 on a laptop that I had to erase due to a virus. I have a OEM OS disk, and the laptop doesn't have an optical drive. I have to find a way to make a USB copy that will install Win 7 onto the little laptop. If I use the WIn 7 USB DVD Download Tool, it's looking for an ISO image file, and I don't have one. I DO have an OEM disk, and the laptop has its original key sticker on the bottom. How can I make an ISO image? Can I use the OEM disk to make an ISO image so that I can get this process going? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kris-chevyz24

kris-chevyz24

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:52 PM

You must use either an external dvd drive that plugs into the usb port of the laptop, or you can put the iso image from a windows disc, using another pc, onto a usb thumb drive and boot from the usb stick.  :bubbles:

Edited by kris-chevyz24, 04 December 2016 - 12:53 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:01 PM

Adding to kris-chevyz24's post.

Use Imgburn to create an iso file from your Windows 7 disk. Imgburn defaults to a .bin file so use the dropdown box to select the iso format. Use a read speed of no faster than 4x if possible.

After creating the iso file use Rufus to create a bootable USB Windows 7 install.

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. If FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Windows 7 iso file created using Imgburn. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users