Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connected but "No internet access", do I need a new modem?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 homeschool

homeschool

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:12 PM

the laptop is connecting to wifi fine, always has. My windows phone says no internet access, my sisters iphone says no internet access, the ipad says no internet access.  I know the devices are connecting to the wifi because on the routers homepage it shows all the connected devices and they are listed there.  But there is no internet access on the device.   It seems unlikely it's the devices because there are several, it seems unlikely it's the wifi or internet connection since they work fine on the laptop and the pc wired connection.  

my modem is cisco 2100 and my router is Belkin N450 Wireless Router F9K1105 v2.  I dont want to buy new ones when I have a pc and laptop that are doing just fine on the current ones, finances are tight, but I suspect I can never connect another device without doing that.  My isp seems to thing its the modem.  I have tried all the fixes I could find online.  

Please tell me what you think.  Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:24 PM

Since ISPs normally offer to provide modems...I would ask for one just to test the one which you bought.  If it works, you know the problem.  If not, then you have to start troubleshooting on your end.

Louis

#3 homeschool

homeschool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:34 PM

Yes, they are not free though.  If there is any way to figure it out for sure without paying that would be fantastic  :)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

Well...I suppose that you could borrow someone else's modem.

I don't do wifi (preferring ethernet) but I believe wifi brings in the added necessity for a router...so that's two piences of equipment...outside your system...which have to be considered possibly problematical.

But...it seems to me that if a laptop connects flawlessly via wifi per the same router...that points to router ports...or it would if we were talking ethernet.

Louis

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:13 PM

connect directly to the modem via wire.  Do you get stable internet?  If so its not the modem.  Then look upstream at the router.

#6 homeschool

homeschool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

connect directly to the modem via wire.  Do you get stable internet?  If so its not the modem.  Then look upstream at the router.

Ok, I don't know how to connect directly to the modem with an ipad.  I didn't think ipads had wired connections.  But I get internet fine on my pc with a wired connection and fine on the laptop with wifi.  It's just other devices that are the problem.  

What do you mean by look at the router?  They are both definitely outdated according to xfinity's website so if I had to buy a new one I would just get a combined router/modem.

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:24 PM

The point of connecting directly to the modem was to test if the problem was with the modem or the router.  You are correct ipads only do wifi but I asked you to test with a wired connection thereby eliminating wifi from the equation.

personally I would never buy a combo unit since I can upgrade the modem if I get a higher internet level to support it and not have to replace the router at the same time.  It also helps in troubleshooting as to which is having the issue.\

make sure your wifi devices are connecting with N not a, g or b which ipads support but your router doesn't.

http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/MAN_F9K1105v2_8820-01313%20_RevA00_N450_Router.pdf

"Integrated 802.11n Wireless Access Point

Utilizing Dual-Band Network technology, your Router creates two separate networks (one at 2.4GHz band and the other at 5GHz band), allowing increased bandwidth to all your connected wireless devices and computers. "

#8 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,727 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:37 PM

Your hardwire connected device works fine.  Your laptop using WiFi works fine.  That would indicate both the modem and the router are working fine. 

That leaves a configuration issue.  I assume you are using some form of security on the router.  Could the password have gottne changed on the router and laptop, but not any of the other devices?  Otherwise, I would delete your local connection on the devices that are not working and then re-connect to the network. 

Edit:  Is the laptop set up to use the 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz mode?  Try the other mode on the laptop.  Perhaps the router is working on 2.4 GHz bit not 5 GHz, or vice versa. 

Edited by ddeerrff, 04 December 2016 - 11:51 PM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:49 AM

Who is your ISP? The DPC2100 is a older DOCSIS 2.0  modem from over 13 years ago. If you sign up for internet higher then 32Mbps down, I would suggest buying a new modem no matter what. Some ISP give out free modems if you also sign up for their phone service too. 

As for if it's working or not, what lights do you have on/off/blinking on the front? See here for their meaning.

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:35 PM

Have you power cycled the router?  What are the network settings for the devices that don't work?

#11 homeschool

homeschool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

make sure your wifi devices are connecting with N not a, g or b which ipads support but your router doesn't.

How do I know?  I looked at the connection but I don't see any letters

Could the password have gottne changed on the router and laptop, but not any of the other devices?  Otherwise, I would delete your local connection on the devices that are not working and then re-connect to the network. 

Edit:  Is the laptop set up to use the 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz mode?  Try the other mode on the laptop.  Perhaps the router is working on 2.4 GHz bit not 5 GHz, or vice versa. 

No, the password isn't changed, and yes, I've forgotten the connection and re-connected, didn't help.   I don't know how to see if a device is using 2.4 or 5.4 GHz.  I apologize but some things have to be spelled out for me... I'm over 30...

Who is your ISP? The DPC2100 is a older DOCSIS 2.0  modem from over 13 years ago. If you sign up for internet higher then 32Mbps down, I would suggest buying a new modem no matter what. Some ISP give out free modems if you also sign up for their phone service too. 

As for if it's working or not, what lights do you have on/off/blinking on the front? See here for their meaning.

It's Comcast Xfinity.  Yes it does appear to be very old.  I thought it met the definition of "working" since you are receiving this post ok... I just can't connect any new devices.

Have you power cycled the router?  What are the network settings for the devices that don't work?

Yes.  What are network settings?  (Sorry)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users