Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive suddenly not recognised

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Dingham90

Dingham90

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:03 AM

Hi all.

Ok so basically, my wife bought an external 1TB Seagate Harddrive. She put all her data on it and was able to access it no problem.

All of a sudden when she plugs it into her laptop, it cant be found, the only way I have been able to find it on there is through the Seagate Media App, it now comes up BUP Slim, which it never did before, and that says its empty.

I have tried it on 2 other laptops and they both dont recognise it either. The only other way I have been able to find it is through device manager, it comes up BUP Slim and it says once I populate the list - Capacity 953869mb, un-allocated space 687840mb, so surely that means the files are still there??? I have tried every way I know of getting the files back, un hiding the folders, checking all the drivers, forums, youtube vids, this is my last attempt before paying someone to do data recovery on it. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:08 AM

Do you have enough space on another disk to recover the data? If so then it may be possible to mount the disk using a live linux disk. If that fails then you would need to use a program like Testdisk or Partition Wizard  to recover the partition table if that is corrupted. The safest method is to first try the linux disk and copy files from the external.

#3 Dingham90

Dingham90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:17 AM

Do you have enough space on another disk to recover the data? If so then it may be possible to mount the disk using a live linux disk. If that fails then you would need to use a program like Testdisk or Partition Wizard  to recover the partition table if that is corrupted. The safest method is to first try the linux disk and copy files from the external.

Hi, thanks for the fast reply. 

Yes I have about 700gb of space on my laptop so could easily fit everything from the hard drive on it. 

Im not Linux disks and mounting is something I have not done before, what are the steps for doing it?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:23 AM

Download a small linux distro called Fatdog64. Burn the iso to a CD or DVD on a Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image.

Boot the fatdog disk and when at the desktop of fatdog attach your USB external. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and if you see your files post back and I will give instructions on how to copy form the external to your internal drive. If you do not have a blank CD or DVD available I can give instructions on booting a USB flash drive with fatdog.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

Fatdog64-710.iso

Edit: Clicking once on the USB icon should mount the disk and open a File Manager.

Edit: I have added instructions for copying files using Fatdog in case you see your files and I am not available.

Fatdog copy instructions;

Boot Fatdog to the desktop. In the lower left of the desktop you will see your partitions listed as sda1...sda2...sda3...etc. On an upgraded computer from 7 or 8 to 10 you will see quite a few. Normally your Windows partition will be on sda2 or sda3 if Windows 8 or 10 but it may be different in your case. Click once on the partition icon. The partition should mount and a File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your files/folders then close the Window and click on another sdaX icon. Once you find your correct partition attach your external USB drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another File Manager Window will open. You can resize and move the two windows until they are side by side by left clicking and dragging the corner and title bar similar to Windows. Once you have both windows side by side highlight the data you want to copy by pressing Ctrl and left clicking or left clicking and dragging a window around your files/folders. You only need to click once to open a folder in Fatdog. Once you have your files/folders highlighted drag them from the USB external drive window to the sdaX window. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy and check the quiet box. Once all your files are copied exit out of Fatdog. Open a few files to see if the copy was successful

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 December 2016 - 11:35 AM.

#5 Dingham90

Dingham90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:47 PM

Download a small linux distro called Fatdog64. Burn the iso to a CD or DVD on a Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image.

Boot the fatdog disk and when at the desktop of fatdog attach your USB external. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and if you see your files post back and I will give instructions on how to copy form the external to your internal drive. If you do not have a blank CD or DVD available I can give instructions on booting a USB flash drive with fatdog.

Fatdog64-710.iso

Edit: Clicking once on the USB icon should mount the disk and open a File Manager.

Edit: I have added instructions for copying files using Fatdog in case you see your files and I am not available.

Boot Fatdog to the desktop. In the lower left of the desktop you will see your partitions listed as sda1...sda2...sda3...etc. On an upgraded computer from 7 or 8 to 10 you will see quite a few. Normally your Windows partition will be on sda2 or sda3 if Windows 8 or 10 but it may be different in your case. Click once on the partition icon. The partition should mount and a File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your files/folders then close the Window and click on another sdaX icon. Once you find your correct partition attach your external USB drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another File Manager Window will open. You can resize and move the two windows until they are side by side by left clicking and dragging the corner and title bar similar to Windows. Once you have both windows side by side highlight the data you want to copy by pressing Ctrl and left clicking or left clicking and dragging a window around your files/folders. You only need to click once to open a folder in Fatdog. Once you have your files/folders highlighted drag them from the USB external drive window to the sdaX window. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy and check the quiet box. Once all your files are copied exit out of Fatdog. Open a few files to see if the copy was successful

wow, thanks man! I will update you as soon as I have tried it.

#6 Dingham90

Dingham90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

Fatdog64-710.iso

wow, thanks man! I will update you as soon as I have tried it.

ok I have downloaded fatdog, I have put it on disk but when I put the disk in nothing happens, I have gone into the files on the disk and there is "boot", followed by lots of files I cant open. Like I say this is all new to me, what exactly do I do from downloading fatdog?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:35 PM

Is this on a Windows 7 computer? What is the make and model of the computer you are trying to boot from? When you say nothing happens do you mean you only get a black screen or you boot into Windows.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:42 PM

JohnC, is it possible that his wife's laptop is UEFI w/Windows 8 or 10?  Or, BIOS w/Windows 7?  UEFI and BIOS has to be set to boot a usb stick, correct?  I'm only guessing based on my previous experience with UEFI and BIOS.

Edited by RolandJS, 04 December 2016 - 02:43 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:49 PM

Fatdog is supposed to boot with SecureBoot and UEFI enabled. It notes that SecureBoot for Windows 8 works but I do not know if Windows 10 changed the certificate for SecureBoot.

#10 Dingham90

Dingham90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:58 PM

its windows 10

When I say nothing happens I just meant like nothing automatically opens or runs when I insert the disk. 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:07 PM

You inserted the disk and then selected Restart?

Edit: Windows 10 has a kind of hybrid shutdown. If the disk is read only in linux we will need to change some settings in Windows 10. If you have a Windows 7 computer available it would be best to use it if we get a read error on Windows 10.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 December 2016 - 03:10 PM.

#12 Dingham90

Dingham90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:11 PM

yes Iv tried that

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:16 PM

What is the make and model of the comptuer? You should be able to access a boot menu to select the boot device at boot by tapping a key.

#14 Dingham90

Dingham90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:18 PM

its a toshiba satellite, I have gone on advanced startup options and selected to boot from the disk, it restarted and booted normally.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:21 PM

Are you saying that it booted normally from fatdog or from the hard drive?  The boot menu key for Toshiba is F12. 

If fatdog still did not boot then the disk may have a bad burn. Do you have a spare USB flash drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users