Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 idaho-luke

idaho-luke

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:13 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/500628/following-a-power-outage-xp-wont-start/ - Hamluis.

Not sure where to jump in here.  My problem is a little different.  My Windows 10 PC performs perfectly, except that it fails to reboot after a power outage.   Instead of starting windows I get a blue screen with the message: "your PC has a problem and must be repaired."  All attempts at automatic repair fail.  What does work reliably is to launch re-installation of the operating system from the Windows source disk.  When I reach the point of choosing the disk drive for installation I terminate the installation, and shut down the computer.  Then when I push the power button the computer boots normally.  I believe that somewhere during repair attempts I have seen a message that indicates that the rundll32.exe file is either corrupted or missing.  My hardware configuration is as follows: Gigabyte GA-Z77M motherboard, Core I7 processor, 8 GB RAM, Crucial 128 GB SSD, 1TB HDD.  Operating system and all executable programs are stored on the SSD, most user data stored on the internal HDD or on an external HDD.  The SSD has about 50 GB of unused space.  A 100 mB partition labeled as drive (L) contains folders labeled "boot", "recovery", "system volume information", and "Temp".  This problem is not a killer as I do have a work-around, but it is annoying, and I would like any ideas other users can offer.

Edited by hamluis, 04 December 2016 - 11:00 AM.
Split, moved to W10 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:49 PM

You need to start your own topic.

Edited by dc3, 03 December 2016 - 10:16 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 idaho-luke

idaho-luke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:52 PM

I tried that.  It took me here.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:49 AM

I tried that.  It took me here.

To start a new topic you need to click on the forums tab as seen in the image below outlined in red.

bleeping%20new%20topic_zpsk8ixelwq.png[/URL]

Choose the forum which you wish to post a topic in, then click on Start New Topic in the upper right portion of the image outlined in red.

Now you need to create a title for this topic, then provide information explaining your problem that you want help with.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:01 AM

No need to start new topic, I've done it for you and moved to appropriate forum.

Louis

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:23 AM

If this problem only occurs after a power outage I would suggest purchasing and using a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply).  When power is suddenly dropped and you have files still open this can cause corruption of these files.

When you restart the computer do you see the Advanced Startup Options.  These options will look lie the image below.

advanced%20startup%20repair%20options_zp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users