Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forgot password, Windows 7. NO RECOVERY DISK.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ebony_The_Newbie

Ebony_The_Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:54 AM

I have forgotten my password on my Acer Aspire 5333-2969 laptop. I have tried various methods to try to recover it with no avail.

Pretty much, back in August I did a factory reset to rid the laptop of a worm, setting up a password which I did not save anywhere. I cannot reset the password with CMD because an error message shows up which reads this; "This system cannot find message text for message number 0x2331 in the message file for Application.".

I do not know much about computers and I am unsure about using a password reset application from the internet, because my flash drive is labelled as (D:) and the laptop that I am trying to recover has it's files on the (D:) partition of the harddrive. Most of the other computers that I have, have their files on the (C:) partition, so I don't know if this will cause any harm.

Laptop specs:

Processor: Intel Celeron P4600

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics

Memory: 3GB DDR3 Memory

Storage: 320GB HDD

Any help with my issue is greatly appreciated, and I do thank whoever decides to help me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:11 AM

Hey, Ebony_The_Newbie!

I don't think that I'll be much help when it comes to the actual reset of the password, sorry...

However, I can tell you that having the flash drive and system files on the D:\ drive should not matter because the computer will assign a different drive letter to the flash drive if D:\ is already being used as it is in this case. Also, if the computer is booting from the USB drive for the password reset application, the flash drive will likely not be labeled as D:\ anyway, and rather be assigned a name such as /dev/sdb.

Sorry again that I can't help much with the reset itself, but hopefully the information about drive letters is helpful!

Sasschary

#3 Ebony_The_Newbie

Ebony_The_Newbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:13 AM

Okay thanks! I will try to reset the password with the application that I found and I will post back if it does work.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:29 AM

FWIW

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users