Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easiest Way Of Setting Up A New Computer And Not Missing Anything

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shoban Sen

Shoban Sen

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:14 PM

I have decided to buy a new PC. My old IBM Aptiva was bought in 1998 and it is now falling short. I am thinking of buying a Dell desktop (XPS 200 or 400) which, of course, comes with Windows XP. What is the safest, easiest, and most economical way of transferring my existing user files to the new computer? MY CURRENT COMPUTER DOES NOT HAVE A CD BURNER. And my current OS is Windows98. I want to transfer ALL my personal files (text, photos, music etc. including bookmarks, address book etc.) to the new computer so that I am not inconvenienced in any way.

I know data transferring software are available in the market, but I don't know which one to buy and how they exactly work. Some of them, I understand, come with cables to transfer data form one computer to another. Does it mean that I have to leave both computers on while transferring data? Do I need to use two monitors in that case? Somebody please explain these things to me thoroughly. Money is a factor, but not the prime factor. The most important thing to me is SUCCESSFULLY and RELATIVELY EASILY transferring ALL the data to the new computer. Yes, my old compter has USB ports.

I am also considering the possibilty of renting (or getting for free) Internet storage facilities to transfer my existing files there and then downloading them into my new computer. Can it not be done? May be it will be time consuming. Also in that case, I don't know how to upload the bookmarks, address book etc.

The last possibility I know of, is to hire a professional to come to my house and do the job for me using his own software or whatever. But that probably will be at least $250 or so which is beyond my financial capability.

Expert advice from experienced computer gurus will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
~Shoban Sen~
I am always learning ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:31 PM

Have a look at this article about the Windows Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. It does say it supports all Windows versions from 95,but only supports XP as a transfer destination.
Edit; Here is a great Micro$oft article Moving Files and Settings to a New PC.

Edited by TMacK, 27 August 2006 - 12:50 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:09 PM

Another way is to take out your old hard drive, and put it into the new computer's case as a "slave" drive; you can then transfer your data files from one drive to the other with ease.
You can also retain the older drive just for file storage, assuming it is in reliable condition.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:51 AM

Since the data is that important to you - your first priority might be to backup the data so that it will not be lost. Once that's done, you'll be free to experiment with different methods of doing this (without the fear of hosing your data).

A lot of this depends on the programs that you're currently using being available on XP (and that they haven't changed their file names/locations).

The Files and Settings Transfer tool is a great way to do this - but jgweed's method is much simpler and easier to deal with. Once the drive is installed and accesible - then we can help out with the particular programs/data to ensure that they're where you need them to be.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users