Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 is not genuine but it IS!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:21 PM

I don't know if this is going to be more of a rant. I am about to just buy another half grand copy being sick of dealing with the inept windows "Technicians".

I was trying to bios trouble shoot another machine with a bad motherboard and I installed an old win 7 hdd that was mirrored to my ssd then put back into my main machine. I didn't occur to me that the old hdd would connect to windows servers for updates. It conflicted being on the unfamiliar machine and must have triggered MS's servers. Few days later when I booted up the main machine to do some work, in a few minutes I receive a window saying my windows has magically become pirated.

I called ms support so many times and talked to every Philippine and Indian "technician" explaining what had happened they don't know what to say and resort to doing the same searches I would on their computers - I could hear them typing their queries and then their scripted questions. To the Philippine women, I had to explain in childrens' terminology basics of a motherboard and difference between an ssd and hdd - even what mirroring was. It was amazing that ms has these people handling for support. There was no support in existence in the U.S.. From each support "tech" all I got was big "DUH" and some were ever so readyr to say that it wasn't genuine. Only problem with that is I've had the genuine retail copy for years with full updates and all.

Has anyone had this experience with their windows and found answers. They even gave me the "go to the forums"....unbelievable.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:42 PM

Hi:

I don't know if this is going to be more of a rant. I am about to just buy another half grand copy being sick of dealing with the inept windows "Technicians".

I was trying to bios trouble shoot another machine with a bad motherboard and I installed an old win 7 hdd that was mirrored to my ssd then put back into my main machine. I didn't occur to me that the old hdd would connect to windows servers for updates. It conflicted being on the unfamiliar machine and must have triggered MS's servers. Few days later when I booted up the main machine to do some work, in a few minutes I receive a window saying my windows has magically become pirated.

I called ms support so many times and talked to every Philippine and Indian "technician" explaining what had happened they don't know what to say and resort to doing the same searches I would on their computers - I could hear them typing their queries and then their scripted questions. To the Philippine women, I had to explain in childrens' terminology basics of a motherboard and difference between an ssd and hdd - even what mirroring was. It was amazing that ms has these people handling for support. There was no support in existence in the U.S.. From each support "tech" all I got was big "DUH" and some were ever so readyr to say that it wasn't genuine. Only problem with that is I've had the genuine retail copy for years with full updates and all.

Has anyone had this experience with their windows and found answers. They even gave me the "go to the forums"....unbelievable.

We've all had our share of negative tech support experiences.  I understand the frustration.

But I'm not sure the tone/tenor and disparaging remarks about folks of other nationalities is necessary or helpful.

(Recall that bleepingcomputer is viewed by people all over the world, including the countries you mentioned.)

Having said that, I am pretty sure no one here will be able to directly resolve your licensing issues with MS.

MS is probably the only venue where a definitive solution can be provided.

I hope you get it straightened out,

MM

#3 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:07 PM

Thanks for keeping things on topic. All this forum needs is another moderator. If you want to be one then put in a request. If something doesn't jive with your persona then put me on your ignore list. That's the freedom we have here. There's plenty of forums where free speech is taboo. As you can see here, we can just lay down and cease/desist in every order that comes along our way. If this is that type of place then PLEASE delete my login. I don't want to be any part of it. Your reply didn't have any consistency except to satisfy your own political view of the way the world out of your microcosm should be. You aren't welcome.

#4 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:09 PM

I'm not sure where you're finding a win 7 OS that wants $500 ? So you mounted a HDD from a different computer into yours? Hard to understand all with you're whining about lack of MS support and those of different nationalities...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#5 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:21 PM

There's nothing to understand. But that's what you are focusing on because you are piqued by it. I don't know where you do your shopping, the full package of Win7ult was that much when I purchased it several years ago.

#6 capricorntony13

capricorntony13

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:38 PM

I am in an ongoing process where, one day, I started my little laptop and it tells me that I have an illegal copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. I bought the computer new a few years ago. From what I am seeing, I picked up a virus that tells you that your OS copy is not genuine. I am suspicious that it came via an Adobe product. I say this because that is what I believe happened the last time that I got a virus. The last time that I got a virus, I was unable to update Win7 via the auto process. A tech via these forums helped me rid the desktop of the virus, and I was able to re-update my OS after that. I am using the desktop now as we speak. My little laptop, in which has the new problem, also cannot update. So, after working with a tech via these forums, it was decided that I needed to blank out the drive and start anew on the OS. That is my experience. Currently, I am going to open a new thread so that I can find out how to use my OS original disk to make an ISO image so that I can copy it onto a USB stick, so that I can re-install Win 7 onto my little laptop. I erased it 5 times (twice with a program that does zeros only, then once with a 3-pass program). Good luck in fixing your issue. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users