Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Defragmentaion

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:13 PM

hello,

I just made a disk defragmentation today (as i always do) and i have noticed some weird things... after defragmentation, it keeps telling me that:

Posted Image

and when i view the report, i cant find the files that did not defragment:

Posted Image

and here is the report:

Volume (C:)
Volume size = 52.03 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 9.17 GB
Free space = 42.86 GB
Percent free space = 82 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 0 %
File fragmentation = 0 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 31,659
Average file size = 342 KB
Total fragmented files = 1
Total excess fragments = 30
Average fragments per file = 1.00

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 1.50 GB
Total fragments = 1

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 3,088
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 38 MB
MFT record count = 34,826
Percent MFT in use = 89 %
Total MFT fragments = 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
None

Any help or explanation will be appreciated.

Thank you...

Edited by sempai, 26 August 2006 - 08:18 PM.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

Member of UNITE (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iqchicken

iqchicken

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:48 PM

Usually you recieve that message if a file is in use and can't be defragmented for that reason. If you were running any programs, or even if a process was idle and running.. you may recieve this message.

System:

-Windows 10 pro 64 bit

-HDD (WD10EZEX)

-MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798)

-Socket 1155 LGA

-AMD Radeon HD 7700

-2 STICKS OF 16GB DDR 3 RAM (G.Skill F3-10666CL9-8GBNT)

-K120 Logitech Keyboard

-Centrophorus M601 Mouse

#3 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:54 PM

thanks for the reply.... is there a way for me to find out what file is running?

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

#4 pc-details

pc-details

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:58 AM

Go to Task Manager, Processes.
If you have an Antivirus program with real-time protection, turn that off before defrag. Also, disconnect from the internet.

#5 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:12 AM

i have tried doing it but no changes at all...

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:37 AM

Try defragmenting in Safe Mode. There are far fewer processes running in safe mode so this might do the trick.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:26 AM

hi orange,

Still no change..... :thumbsup: and i have noticed that when i analyzed it... its tells me this, "you do not need to defragment this volume", so weird...

Edited by sempai, 27 August 2006 - 06:27 AM.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:25 AM

There are different methods used to defragment hard drives - and different recomendations on when to do it (built into the programs). The "you do not need to defragment this volume" just means that it's not all that fragmented.

I suspect (but am not certain) that the report is referring to the fragmentation of your MFT. Normally this can't be defragmented - but there are tools that will attempt to do this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:50 AM

hello and thanks for the reply, pls do tell me what are these tools and how to use them... tnk you so much.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:24 PM

2 good defrag programs are Diskkeeper 10 and VoptXP. VoptXP is a bit "quirky" to use - but has the flexibility that I want when choosing what to defrag. I haven't tried out Diskkeeper 10 yet - but it comes highly recommended.

As for how to use them - the hardest part is that you have to buy them, they're not freeware. After that it's just install them and read the instructions.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:20 AM

ok thanks a lot.....

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:03 AM

A few fragmented files is of almost no consequence, and will not significantly impact your computer's performance. I would not trouble myself about them.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#13 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:23 AM

Hi John and tnx for the reply... I thought there are some problems on my pc thats why im asking... now i know that its normal.... :thumbsup: tnx to you all....

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#14 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:07 PM

What kind of problems?
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#15 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:49 AM

What i ment is... i thought at first that theres a problem on my pc thats why i cant defrag some files...

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users