Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tray Manager Headaches

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EncoMan

EncoMan

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:35 PM

XP Pro_SP3

I use a third party tray manager (also called the notification area) because the native XP manager is
a disaster.  Under "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" you have the option of hiding inactive icons.
This feature is completely unreliable.  After each reboot you never know which icons will be visible
or hidden.  Ocassionally, icons appear split in half!

I wanted a very simple manager that performed two functions.  Hide selected icons and hide itself.
I found an old app authored by Mike Lin called TraySaver.  Google "Mike Lin" if you are unfamiliar
with this brilliant guy.

TraySaver has a problem and I'm not sure if it can be fixed.  It's hiding a web connection status icon.
TraySaver settings provide the option to completely ignore a list of icons that should never be hidden.
It's hiding and rendering useless this web status icon.

The fact that TraySaver can be toggled to show or hide itself with a simple keyboard shortcut is the
reason I installed this old app.  I've googled a lot, trying to find an updated tray manager with the same
feature.

I'm about to quit searching, because I can't find anything with the clean simplicity of TraySaver.  There
are several shareware apps loaded (or bloated) with extra features I don't need.   If you are aware of a
newer app, similar to the old TraySaver please let me know.

The perfect app for me would have no windows or icons.  I create simple scripts for my business.  I've
always wanted a command supported app that would selectively hide tray icons at system startup.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:03 AM

Try cleaning your tray notifications cache (uninstall TraySaver first)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users