Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General Printer Ink Refill Questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dindu_Nuffins

Dindu_Nuffins

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:27 PM

I would have thought that refilling an ink cartridge would be a simple matter of injecting the ink into the reservoir, but after I did it, my HP printer started warning me that the cartridge was "unauthorized" or something like that.  And a week later, it quit working.  Yesterday I filled my neighbor's "Canon" cartridges and one of the YouTube videos I watched said you needed something called a "chip reset tool" that supposedly "did something" to the cartridge.  Maybe to fool it into thinking it was new?

Have manufacturers "done something" to prevent and/or discourage average people from refilling ink cartridges?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:56 PM

Hello and welcome:

Have manufacturers "done something" to prevent and/or discourage average people from refilling ink cartridges?

Yes.

They make their money from the ink, not from the printer itself.

So, yes, they have rigged things up with both printer firmware and chips on the cartridges to discourage/prevent them from being reused.

Most of the big-name printer manufacturers offer convenient, deeply discounted ink replacement programs.

I have used HP for many years -- with a couple of mouse clicks, I get brand-new, name-brand, FRESH, deeply discounted cartridges on my doorstep (free delivery) in 1 or 2 business days.  My HP printers have lasted for years and years this way.  (Even big brick/mortar stores often sell stale OEM ink.)

While I understand the valid reasons to want to use cheaper, after-market, generic, refilled, re-used or otherwise non-OEM ink, doing so will eventually result in reduced quality printing and/or gumming up the printer.  So, even without the new processes in place to prevent cartridge re-use, eventually, saving a few pennies up front will result in greater cost later, down the line.

Just my two cents and worth less,

MM

#3 Dindu_Nuffins

Dindu_Nuffins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:07 PM

So you really don't know anything about refilling ink cartridges then.

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:18 PM

Hi:

So you really don't know anything about refilling ink cartridges then.

Sorry, I was answering your question:

No, sorry, I do not know how to hack the printer firmware or ink cartridge chips or how to refill the cartridges.

(Posting procedures for that might skirt a fine line with forum policies prohibiting discussion of piracy or other copyright/security bypass measures.)

I expect there are probably methods to do so somewhere out on the internet.

Cheers,

MM

#5 Dindu_Nuffins

Dindu_Nuffins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:17 PM

Sorry, I was answering your question:

You really weren't.  You were "appearing" to answer "a" question, but not one that I asked, nor was your answer useful.  "Just anyone" can show up in a thread and blabber out some pseudo-knowledgeable words and LARP as if they are actually doing something useful or constructive.  This is a technical forum.  I repair computers for a living.  I learned 90% of what I do on forums just like this one. Standards are higher on forums like this. This isn't "Cosmo" or "Girls Having Fun Digest".  If I would have wanted you kind of answer, I would have posted on "Puppies are Cute dot com".  It's okay if you don't know the technical answer.  If you are interested, post a brief statement about your interest and wait for someone that does.  Don't ever pretend to know something when you don't, in the company of people who make a regular practice of either knowing things, or finding things out.  In this case, in this context, it's called "thread crapping".  Distracting, annoying, non-useful words that do little but make the person that posted them feel like they've done something.  You haven't.  I don't need someone to confirm for me the general idea that prompted me to post the thread, and I might have been interested in the "deep discount" but you didn't care enough to share that.  It's annoying and insulting.  Why would I have posted a thread if I really didn't know that they were doing "something".

LARP= Live Action Role Play, i.e. pretending to be something rather than actually being something.

And that bit about "hacking firmware" is also offensive, as I suspect you are aware that any mention of that kind of thing is against the rules of many forums.  Passive aggressive and also thread crapping.  I'd appreciate it if you stayed out of this, or any other thread I start.  Thanks.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:29 AM

Dindu_Nuffins, please read the Forum Rules found here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/

Seldom have I witnessed such a disparaging and downright rude response to to a helper on these forums.

All posters here are volunteers and, with the exception of specific Malware forums, anyone is allowed to offer a response to enquiries as long as they observe forum rules.

From the information provided in your first post, MoxieMomma's reply is not unreasonable, and if it didn't contain the information you hoped for, all that was necessary to say was something like: "Thanks anyway, but I'm really after the technical reasons behind the problem I've had."

Since you've seen fit to issue gender biased insults, I call your attention particularly to these two rules:

"There will be no racial, ethnic, gender based insults or any other personal discriminations.  This will not be tolerated and can lead to immediate suspension."

"There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory. This includes flaming or instigating arguments."

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,407 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

MoxieMomma did give you the correct information, Yes printer manufacturers have made many efforts to prevent and/or discourage average people from refilling ink cartridges.  Along with punishing people who actually purchase their products by coding an expiration date where the cartridges will not work, no matter how much ink is left in them.  The public relations of the printer manufacturers will tell you this is in the customer's best interest to ensure they have a quality product.

Here is some information from the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF).

HP

Lexmark

You can search for Printer Ink on their site to find more.  Think about donating to the EFF while you're there.

Edited by Kilroy, 07 December 2016 - 01:48 PM.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:06 PM

@Dindu......M.Momma answered your question directly and plainly if you had bothered to read it carefully. Unless you obtain an electronic chipsetter (just Google it) you are going nowhere fast. In fact, Canon has the history of slightly off-setting the placement of the chip on the cart so that the chipsetter you purchase one month will not function the next month.

You owe Moxie Momma a sincere apology, and I, for one, will not ever answer any of your posts in the future until you do.

Finis

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users