Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random power cuts / shutdowns & problem with turning on.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Morningstarr

Morningstarr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:12 PM

My specs:

Mobo:         MSI X99A SLI Plus LGA 2011-3 USB 3.1 Motherboard

CPU:           Intel Core i7 5820K Haswell-E 6-Core LGA 2011-3 3.3GHz CPU Processor

Graphics:   EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ 6GB Video Card

Power:       CoolerMaster Vanguard 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular

Ram:          Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance

Storage:     Hitachi 2TB Ultrastar SATA 7200RPM 64MB Enterp! rise

HD:             Samsung 500GB SSD 850 EVO

Cooling:     Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile Multi Socket CPU Cooler

Case:          Fractal Design Define R5 USB3.0 Mid Tower Case

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my PC. It will randomly turn off/crash as if the power has been cut.

This usually happens when triggered by something visual. For example, gaming is the most common culprit, it will crash during some games at random or trigger crash by some start-up or load screens meaning some games I can't even play because they always crash my PC. The power on/off button on the front of my case doesn't work anymore like a normal PC, to even get it to turn on I have to have power going to it, but have to jiggle the connected power cable in the power board I have until it hits a sweet spot and powers on, this can be interrupted if the jack is moved even a milimetre, causing it to turn off again. I have to do this until I see my power button light up fully and stay on. This is why I think it's a PSU issue. I'm wondering if my power unit isn't sufficient enough or is faulty and my PC is crashing because of a power usage trigger. I wouldn't even be able to use my PC if I didn't have this particular power board because I've tried to wriggle the power jack cable into other sockets or power boards and haven't had the same luck. So it's a miracle I can even get it to start up. Is this a power unit issue or something else? Is there a way I can tell / find out what's happening exactly internally that is causing the crashes? How can I fix this?

Other info: The PC is obviously pretty new, I built it last year. This problem started happening about 6 months after assembly, before that it was working perfectly. I have cleaned out the PC recently, checked all cables were connected, everything seemed fine and in working order. There are no visible indicators that anything is wrong.

Thank you.

Edited by Morningstarr, 03 December 2016 - 10:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:24 AM

850 watt coolermaster....that PSU should be more then capable.....Im thinking whats more likely is you have a short somewhere, either somethings connecting between the back of the motherboard, the wires between the power switch and the motherboard are rubbed raw somewhere and rubbing, or the part of the motherboard where the power wires connect to it, is faulty.  First thing Id do is inspect the wires for the power switch-pull them all the way out if you have to, if you cant find anywhere where it could be shorting, the next step would be to remove the motherboard, make sure theres no screws wires or dust bunnies between the motherboard and the motherboard tray that could be causing a short, and third thoroughly inspect the motherboard-especially by the power switch jumpers-for burn marks.

And I realize you just inspected it, but it doesnt hurt to go through and triple check, especially those power wires! they could have rubbed raw in a place thats hard to see on a casual inspection.

Edited by the_patriot11, 04 December 2016 - 01:25 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Morningstarr

Morningstarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:30 AM

Thanks the_patriot11!

I will go ahead and check them over closely. Will report back on the outcome. :)

#4 Morningstarr

Morningstarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:32 AM

Checked the internals again, checked all wires going to and from the PSU, checked the motherboard for any burn marks or signs of shorting, couldn't see anything wrong. The only thing that's unusual is the main cable from the PSU to the Mobo is missing a pin-clamp inside, picture attached. https://imageshack.com/i/pnUd4VQaj

Apart from that everything is in perfect order.

Going to check in with the seller on Monday to check my PSU warranty status, if not I'll grab a new PSU and see if that works.

Is it possible that a virus could be doing this?

Edited by Morningstarr, 04 December 2016 - 03:42 AM.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:01 PM

Unlikley, I'm thinking hardware... Tell me is there a wire leading to that pin? If so, that maybe your problem, but if there is not then it most likely is not, as that pin is not needed with modern motherboards and many PSUs leave it out. It could be a faulty PSU, wouldn't hurt to warranty it, but it still sounds to me like something is grounding out somewhere where it shouldn't.

https://www.mabzicle.com/2012/07/why-i-have-23-pins-in-my-atx-psu-only.html?m=0

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:13 PM

Worked flawlessly for six months; now problems!  I'm wondering if some back then installed security and/or monitoring program running in the background is clashing with your gaming.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users