Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista suddenly very slow, windows explorer crashed, painfully slow log in

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 more_asbestos

more_asbestos

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:55 PM

Hi there, I'll start by showing what system I'm running on

cbkMjaO.png

I primarily use this laptop for recording music and recently it has been working absolutely fine!

the problem

Yesterday, however, while browsing the internet (just facebook and gmail, nothing dodgy but I'm sure they all say that) the computer suddenly ground to a halt, I was trying to minimise the chrome window but that took a good 30 seconds or so to actually happen before windows explorer crashed and restarted itself, the computer continued to run very very slowly.

I (perhaps stupidly) held down the power button to switch the machine off since clicking the start button to shut down properly wasn't happening. 

When I turned it back on again and got to the log in screen, I clicked my user name and where the icon would usually change to the password entry box, it just disappeared and left me with the blank background for at least 60 seconds. Took ages for it to let me type in my password when it finally loaded the text box and, unsurprisingly once I pressed enter to log in, that took ages too.

just letting windows sit there with nothing else running, here is what my CPU is doing at the moment. starts off at 4% when windows finally loads then suddenly leaps up and down, sometimes staying on a flat 100% 

0MgfAuQ.png

what i've done so far

- i've run some antivirus (AVG, don't laugh, i'm open to some suggestions if there are better free antivirus I should be using) and it just deleted two apparently small threats and nothing changed.

- I've turned off all seemingly unnecessary startup processes and services

- run a memory diagnostics thing after pressing F8 on startup, threw up no red flags, but perhaps I was wrong in even using that?

---

I'm really not sure why this machine suddenly froze up like this or worse why it continues to behave like this after multiple restarts?? 

I've typed way too much, sorry, just wanted to be thorough as this has really stumped me! 

any advice would be very much appreciated

Edited by more_asbestos, 03 December 2016 - 07:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:30 AM

...I was trying to minimise the chrome window...

Chrome 50, 51, 52, 53, etc. do not support Vista, so you were using a browser that hasn't received a security update in 8 months. I'm somewhat curious what version of Flash Player you are stuck with (type chrome:plugins into Chrome's address bar if you would care to indulge me). Probably you should post here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/. On the other hand, are you aware that Windows Update can consume 50% of CPU on a Vista system with a dual-core processor these days? Is it possible that more than one antivirus was installed? In my opinion, Microsoft Security Essentials is better than AVG (not that AVG was ineffective, but it caused more problems than it solved).

#3 rpshwin

rpshwin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:59 AM

I'm having the same issue, for the last two weeks my computer is slower than molasses in the winter. I ran task manager in admin mode and it states my cpu has 99% in system idle process (which makes no sense at all), my disk activity is high and my memory status is at around 50%. I am wondering if I am infected with anything. I use MSE and update it every day, I also have it run a full scan every day as well, I update my windows vista (weekly manually). I am new here kind of, actually its been so many years ago I joined the last time, I just started a new membership because I was using a different email and username. I tried to log on with the old username but I had forgotten my old password, and after many attempts of having it sent using the "I forgot my password" and nothing arriving in my mail box.... I just decided to start a new. Anyway, I have read the posting rules but I'm not sure if I should post a new thread to get info/ help with my computer acting up or if adding on, like I have done here is appropriate. I saw a reply to the more_asbestos thread stating he should post on the am-i-infected-what-do-i-do forum but when I was reading its rules it was labeled as topic being "locked" and the thread I saw was 2008. So I thought it was not operational...that's why I posted here. Am I wrong?

So please do chime in and tell me what to do. I'd appreciate any and all assistance on this matter. 

Edited by rpshwin, 11 December 2016 - 12:05 PM.

#4 more_asbestos

more_asbestos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:17 PM

...I was trying to minimise the chrome window...

Chrome 50, 51, 52, 53, etc. do not support Vista, so you were using a browser that hasn't received a security update in 8 months. I'm somewhat curious what version of Flash Player you are stuck with (type chrome:plugins into Chrome's address bar if you would care to indulge me). Probably you should post here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/. On the other hand, are you aware that Windows Update can consume 50% of CPU on a Vista system with a dual-core processor these days? Is it possible that more than one antivirus was installed? In my opinion, Microsoft Security Essentials is better than AVG (not that AVG was ineffective, but it caused more problems than it solved).

hi thanks for that response, I forgot to reply and I did a search after you mentioned the Windows Update thing and found the culprit. now I can't for the life of me remember which service was sapping up all the CPU when I right clicked 'view services' in task manager, but it was definitely related to windows update, so that took care of that, thanks again.

problem is after a defrag, the laptop now says "disc read error" when trying to boot up, pain in the ass really.

Edited by more_asbestos, 15 December 2016 - 10:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users