Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Puppy' Linux Corner.....

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#181 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:42 PM

Just a quick word about the packages I produce for Puppy, to anyone who's interested.

Please do feel free to have a rummage through the contents of my MediaFire 'Puppy' folder, which can be found at the 'My Puppy Packages' link in my sig. I initially produce these for myself, but if everything works out OK, I'm always more than happy to share. So; dive in, and help yourselves.....that's what they're there for!

Guaranteed clean, and free from 'nasties'.....

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 01 October 2017 - 04:44 PM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#182 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:28 PM

Pet package of 'RecordMyDesktop' now available

Evening, all.

I mentioned RecordMyDesktop back in post #169. I'm starting to get so I actually prefer it to SimpleScreenRecorder, simply because it takes less setting up, and to my mind, the resulting video file is smoother & less 'jerky' (although perhaps that's just my hardware!)

I've produced a .pet package of this, using all the required binaries/libs/deps etc. from the 'Trusty' build.....to create a totally self-contained app. For two reasons.....

One, I run various Pups that are not 'buntu-based, and (as I've stated many times before) I like to adhere to the Puppy maxim of 'choice in all things'. I happen to think this is a pretty neat screen-capture tool; I know many of you prefer SimpleScreenRecorder, but I just think this is nicer to use. I've tested this in Slacko 5.7.0 & Slacko 5.6.0, and it works perfectly. It also works, without incident, in Racy 5.5.

The other reason I put this together is because I've recently started using greengeek's 'VoxPup', based on Upup Raring (with experimental voice control). Okay, I know what you're thinking; 'Isn't this a 'buntu-based Pup?' Indeed it is.....but what y'all need to remember is that Upup Raring was based on Ubuntu 13.04 'Raring Ringtail', which was one of the intermediate, short-term versions between the LTS (Long Term Support) releases, which are supported for 5 years. These are only supported for 9 months, before the repos are archived, and become basically inaccessible to the public. 

The upshot of this is that Raring's repos went off-line years ago (probably before I even joined the Puppy Forum back in June '14), and no longer connect, much less function. So, my 'Raring' has been set up entirely with .pet & SFS packages. And it works pretty well, too! 

Do remember, as I stated above; the 'encoding' session which takes place after closure very often runs on to well over 100%, as reported by the progress bar. This appears to be perfectly normal; just be patient! I admit, it does seem to take rather longer in the Slackos than it does in the 'buntus.....but it still gets there (eventually!) Perhaps something 'extra' is required, although the terminal doesn't report anything missing. It does, however, function as intended. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

The .pet for this is available from here:- 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/boao458iide574b/RecordMyDesktop-0.3.8.1-i686.pet

Feedback would be appreciated on this one, if anybody decides to give it a whirl..... 

Enjoy. 

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 03 October 2017 - 08:23 PM.

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#183 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

Some very welcome news for y'all!

One of our community members has figured out the required script modifications to allow 'Puppians' to continue using the Blink-based browsers (Chrome, Chromium itself, SlimJet, Iron, etc.)

Since the release of Chrome 62, Google will no longer permit the running of Chrome as a 'root' user under any circumstance whatsoever. If you elect to run without a sandbox, it now refuses to even think about starting. It's only been this ability to do so that's kept the Blink browsers available to the community at all.....and there's plenty (like me) who can't stand FireFox.

The member in question has re-worked the wrapper-script in such a way as to permit those of us who package the things to allow the browser package to run as a 'normal user', while being completely isolated from the rest of the system, along with a small 'chown' script that lets downloaded items save to your normal, root-owned Downloads directory. This lets the rest of your Puppy system carry on running as root in the normal way.

So Chrome will continue to be available for Puppy, as usual. Just thought some of you might be curious as to how Puppies are coping with these new 'restrictions'...

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 01 November 2017 - 06:13 PM.

XQxSFqE.gif

#184 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:43 PM

OpenSCAD 3D CAD modelling app

Evening, kiddiwinks. 

OpenSCAD is a well-known, text-controlled open-source 3D modelling application, which in recent years has become more commonly used for assembling 3D shapes (simple or complex), before then using appropriate software to translate them to physical output through a 3D printer. 

Following this post by forum member ravensrest:- 

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111995 

.....about the requirement for a 3D modelling application, to work along with the printer control AppImage he's found which works in Tahrpup64, I did some digging around and came up with OpenSCAD. Along with Windows and Mac packages (and the usual host of instructions for installation via the different distro package managers), they produce a couple of 'generic' tar.gz packages for Linux; one 64-bit, one 32-bit. 

After unzipping with UExtract, you have a straight-forward set of directories, along with an install script that merely places them into the appropriate locations, and sets up necessary links. It starts from the /usr/bin/openscad script with no fuss, although you may get a wee moan about the version of OpenGL in use by your Pup. It still functions fine, apparently. 

ravensrest informs me that it works well. 

The only snag with this method of 'installing' is that it means a 'manual uninstall'. For many, this can be a daunting task. To this end, I've made up 32- and 64-bit .pet & SFS packages.....for anybody else who might be looking for something to 'fit the bill' for this particular scenario. 

These are available from my MediaFire a/c, at the following location:- 

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/j98h9x8ncirhm/OpenSCAD_3D_CAD 

Having thrown the 32-bit version at various assorted Puppies, it even works straight off in 'problematic' breeds like Racy 5.5 and Lucid. I think it's fair to say this will almost certainly work in all 5-series Pups. 

Hope they may prove useful for some of you. Enjoy. 

XQxSFqE.gif

#185 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:34 PM

FIREFOX 57 'QUANTUM' in Puppy...

Evening, all.

I'm not a Firefox fan. Haven't been for a long time. But I've heard so much about this new Firefox I thought I'd better give it a whirl, so.....I downloaded and installed it in Xenialpup 7081 (32-bit).

Along with a forum-developed 'fix' for the Pulseaudio issue (using 'apulse'), and a small modification to 'about:config', FF57 fires up and runs nicely. NetFlix is now totally seamless (nice one!), after ticking the DRM box under 'Content'.

My overall impression is that if you squint at it with your eyes half-closed, and use your imagination, you could almost be running Chrome itself. They are honestly that much alike now. And I wouldn't like to say whether that's a good thing.....or a bad one.

Has Firefox lost its unique character, at long last?

Mike. :wink:

XQxSFqE.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users