Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Youtube.com A Malicious Site?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Federer Express

Federer Express

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:43 PM

Encountered a very strange problem about 5 days ago.

I was searching for the Japanese Anime "One Piece" videos on www.youtube.com when suddenly, numerous pop-ups began to appear on my computer. I know there are a lot of spammers on youtube, but I assure you, I didn't click on any of their links ; I was just searching for videos.

Here is a related HJT topic I posted : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/62988/infected-with-trustcleaner/

My question to you Bleepers is : Has anyone experienced this before? I'm scared to even go look at videos now.
What the Bleep are you talking about? Are you Bleepin' kidding me?
You think this is Bleepin' funny?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toshibauser

toshibauser

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:09 PM

Are you a registered youtube member, because i would like to know before decideing wether or not to delete my account there.

#3 Federer Express

Federer Express
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:43 PM

toshibauser, I don't mean to freak you out, mate. Youtube has some great videos and I thought it was a harmless site. I just want you to be cautious as to what you do in that site.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:19 PM

I am on YouTube all the time, and have never had a popup problem.
Not a one. Just visited the site and experienced no popups,
even after searching for "One Piece"

Perhaps it is not related to YouTube.
As you have said, you have a log posted.
Whichever HJT tech picks it up will do his/her best to help.
Posted Image

#5 Federer Express

Federer Express
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:37 PM

Hey, a Roethlisberger fan!

Scarlett, at the time my computer was infected, I only had one IE window opened and that was Youtube.com. I know that site it is not related to malware whatsoever, but the only source of the malware that is present on my computer is from youtube.com since my computer was clean as white before.

It's really confusing. Oh, now that I think about it, I did press the "Back" and "Forward" buttons while browsing. Do you think that has any effect?

#6 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:56 AM

I doubt that it was yutube because the is nothing on google that covers this and there would be by now.

Also, I think that one has to acept that if one is streeming flv. files that have been posted by someone else than there is always a content risk made worse if one then using a flv. file catcher as opposed to just playing them. Anyway, the removal of ones malware is a great insight into the workings of one computer, and a test of ones ability.

Edited by fleamailman, 27 August 2006 - 01:05 AM.

everyday is a gift

#7 Federer Express

Federer Express
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:24 AM

Yeah, but the first page I visited that day was youtube.com. My homepage is yahoo.com, for your information.

I would like to doubt it as well, but boy, I have hard time seeing what else is the cause. If anyone had any ideas, please feel free to share them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users