Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Instant Random Shutdowns

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tiverty

tiverty

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 05:43 PM

Hello, I've been troubleshooting a Windows 7 computer and am all out of ideas. I'd love to hear any thoughts you guys might have.

Randomly, from any point where it be before you even see the motherboard splash screen, to being fully loaded in Windows, the computer will just instantly power off and restart.

I have:
Checked all internal/external cables.

Reseated RAM

Reset BIOS settings to default

Ran computer w/o a graphics card and second HD plugged into power supply.

Ran computer on each stick of RAM by itself.

Finished a chkdsk /r

Noticed it will not shut down when booting from a CD or flash drive.

Was able to boot into safe mode, it shuts down there.

Even was able to do a system restore to before the last updates.

From what I can tell, everything looks good in the following shots I was able to grab from the BIOS menus:

http://puu.sh/sDczN/b7e245ff51.jpg

http://puu.sh/sD6Io/d2c378405f.jpg

Would love to hear any thoughts you guys might have, thank you in advance.

Edit #1)

An American Megatrends failed overclocking message is appearing (see attached).

Edit #2)

Crashes while doing a memtest from UBCD from a flash drive. Thinking it must be a failing motherboard?

Attached Files

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 03 December 2016 - 07:38 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:36 PM

Only thing I can think of is an issue with ACPI (or HAL).

Has one searched for updated BIOS and/or chipset, graphics and controller drivers?

May not help but it just might....

Something else: Maybe disconnect all drives (other than system) and disconnect all unnecessary peripherals.

Edited by bludgard, 03 December 2016 - 07:37 PM.

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:19 AM

Noticed it will not shut down when booting from a CD or flash drive.

Smells like a windows reinstall time to me,im not big on playing the game of find the missing *.DLL or whatever when that topic starts, i just reinstall.

Crashes while doing a memtest from UBCD from a flash drive.

Odd, pick your best ram stick and maybe slow down memory speed some, put ram in safe mode when doing the reinstall, test ram after install if all gos well and use more then one app to test. theirs meny out thier.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:07 AM

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and select Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste sfc /scannow in the command prompt, then press Enter to start the scan.  

If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.  Type in exit, then press Enter to stop the scan.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png then type cmd in the Search box. 

CMD will appear above the search box, right click on it and select Run as administrator.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled CBS.  Double click on this icon to open 
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users