Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC shuts down randomly at system boot.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ExFact007

ExFact007

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:39 PM

So I started my PC today morning and it automatically shut down while the system is booting, after the third try it started up and I was able to do my work fine.

In the evening I tried to turn the computer and again it automatically shut down at Starting Windows screen and in the second try just after the login screen has appeared. I tried logging in to BIOS and leaving it on there for a while. It works fine when in the BIOS.

Anyway after like fifth try I managed to boot Windows get it working again. The first thing I did was check the temperatures and they all appear to be at normal levels. Nothing was overheating. And since that time I'm using the PC till now without any problems at all.  

Do you guys have any ideas about what might be causing this? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Motherboard - DP965lt

Hard Drive - Toshiba 500GB (SATA)

RAM - 1GB Kingston DDR2 + 1GB Trancend DDR2 + 2GB Kingstone DDR2 

GPU - Nvidia GeForce GT430 2GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:22 PM

Which OS are you running and how old is the installation?

If you're running win 10 have you done a clean install after the "Upgrade"?

Reason I ask is you run mismatched Ram. Have you tested for system stability? Memory in particular?

How long has the memory been installed this way?

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

#3 ExFact007

ExFact007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:06 PM

Which OS are you running and how old is the installation?
If you're running win 10 have you done a clean install after the "Upgrade"?

Reason I ask is you run mismatched Ram. Have you tested for system stability? Memory in particular?
How long has the memory been installed this way?

My os is Windows 7 Ultimate. I've been runing this setup(os+hardware) for almost two years now.
I also tried booting in to safe mode. That seems to work fine.

Edit : I reformatted the HDD and reinstalled the OS. Havent installed any drivers yet. But at this stage it works fine.

Edited by ExFact007, 03 December 2016 - 09:56 PM.

#4 ExFact007

ExFact007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:03 AM

Sadly reinstalling the os didn't fix the issue.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:23 AM

Hemmm how much backup hardware do you have ?

My self id try running the system on min hardware and see what happens, no hdd, change video card to a old pci 2 meg or something, run Linux mint or hirens boot cd, turn everything off in the bios that's not needed "safe mode for bios settings", one ram stick etc.

Remember troubleshooting is a slow processes at times and a processes of elimination starting with the simplest things first.

Old systems tent to get full of crud too, sometimes a good cleaning of all components with electronic cleaner works well, sometimes i use naphtha in a pinch aka zippo lighter gas.

Good call on the reinstall btw, interesting that if you boot it posts and you can park it in bios and let it camp their and you don't have problems

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:18 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#7 ExFact007

ExFact007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:36 PM

Hemmm how much backup hardware do you have ?

My self id try running the system on min hardware and see what happens, no hdd, change video card to a old pci 2 meg or something, run Linux mint or hirens boot cd, turn everything off in the bios that's not needed "safe mode for bios settings", one ram stick etc.

Remember troubleshooting is a slow processes at times and a processes of elimination starting with the simplest things first.

Old systems tent to get full of crud too, sometimes a good cleaning of all components with electronic cleaner works well, sometimes i use naphtha in a pinch aka zippo lighter gas.

Good call on the reinstall btw, interesting that if you boot it posts and you can park it in bios and let it camp their and you don't have problems

Thanks for the help. It was turned out to to be the SATA cable of my HDD. I swapped it with my DVD drive's cable and it fixed the issue permanently. I used my old computers SATA cables when I'm building a new one and they are nearly 6/7 years old. I never paid attention to upgrading them.

#8 ExFact007

ExFact007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:39 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

Thanks for the reply. There was a problem with my HDD SATA cable and I was able to fix it. Now it all works fine. Thanks!

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:50 AM

Glad to see it worked out, ya that's all it takes sometimes, just one thing starts glitching and its over.

when i see that kind of problem my self i tend to do full computer teardowns and rebuilds and clean everything, of course ill try more basic things before i get to that, if we were talking about a car and not a computer i wouldn't pull the engine out before checking if it has gas in the tank kind of thing.

Im lucky cus i have a lot of backup hardware when it comes to that kind of thing "8 computers or so & 3x that in parts" so i can swap things out everywhere as i test.

Tend to test everything in safe mode as well when doing this kind of thing on a software and hardware level, not unheard of for me to run computer at -80% of default speed when testing then slowly put the speed back up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users