Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC build - black screen - PC doesn't boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 renepokerman

renepokerman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:13 PM

My new build:

Intel i7 6700

NZXT phantom 240

Kingston DDR4 8GB (1 modul)

EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6GB

H170 PRO4S

KINGSTON SSD (SATA)

DVD ROM (SATA)

Power supply Cooler Master B500

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/KXdfnn

After putting all components together PC started without any problems. PC was connected through HDMI to external monitor (grafic card port). In BIOS I’ve enabled PS2 emulation to be able to use mice and keyboard. Then I set boot from DVD. Windows has been installed and was working successfully. I wanted to install driver for grafic card, which wasn’t working (but was connected). As I didn’t have CD with driver, wireless adapter , LAN cable , I turn the PC off.

After I bought USB wireless adapter, I connected it through USB. After turning on the PC my monitor stayed black with title “no connection (no source)”. HDMI cabel as well as monitor I’ve tested by connecting them to my laptop and everthing worked. The I tried to connect monitor (through HDMI) to mother board port and grafics port, nothing worked, just black screen. I do not have DVI cabel, VGA ports are not available. Then I disconnected USB wirelless card. I took away grafic card and reseted CMOS. HDMI cabel was reconnected to mother board and turned PC on. Monitor shows data now, but doesn’t run WIN7 from SSD drive, and doesn’t boot from DVD. It shows only black screen with with cursor. I am able to go into BIOS.

Could you please advise what to do in this situation ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

HDMI often have that kind of problems so yes, try with DVI or DisplayPort.

#3 renepokerman

renepokerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:05 PM

HDMI often have that kind of problems so yes, try with DVI or DisplayPort.

thank you for your comment, will visit local store to check on this.

#4 renepokerman

renepokerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:10 PM

Guys, I have an update. I've tried to download WIN10 through official MS tool and boot was successful. I did SSD disc formatting, and installed new OS.

I've reconnected grafics card, installed the latest driver. Now I have another problem.
Is it normal that grafics fan starts after PC is turned on, and in moment when desktop appears, fan stops ? Is it because of some 'energy saving mode", and it is enabled only when needed, or this is malfunctioning ? I just add that the latest driver has been installed. Is there any way how to do testing ? I've tried to run FIFA 15 demo and fan did not start.

I appreciate all comments

#5 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:00 AM

Yes it's normal for a GPU to spin heavily as your computer boots initially. It wil ramp down once you are fully into windows and in desktop mode. You have a GTX 1060 and the GTX 1 *** series have a bios level fan control that will turn off the GPU fan until it reaches a certain temperature. Usually 60c. However some of them (only a few i have built with) don't have that control but I would assume since you are mentioning that you notice the fan "stops" when you have booted up -- then you are fine. Just be sure that when you are playing a game or doing anythiing 3D intensive that you notice the fans starting again.

#6 renepokerman

renepokerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:02 PM

Yes it's normal for a GPU to spin heavily as your computer boots initially. It wil ramp down once you are fully into windows and in desktop mode. You have a GTX 1060 and the GTX 1 *** series have a bios level fan control that will turn off the GPU fan until it reaches a certain temperature. Usually 60c. However some of them (only a few i have built with) don't have that control but I would assume since you are mentioning that you notice the fan "stops" when you have booted up -- then you are fine. Just be sure that when you are playing a game or doing anythiing 3D intensive that you notice the fans starting again.

many thanks for your reply. In the meantime I've performed a test by using unigine heaven and fan started to operate. So I suppose it works as it should

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:52 PM

Semi passive cooling solutions are quite common now. So it seems you don't have fan issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users