Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Back Up My Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cvgurau

cvgurau

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:37 PM

I downloaded CleanUp! to get rid of some of the crap on my computer, but I've never run it on this one before, and I don't want to bleep anything up.

The website warns you to back up the hard drive, but I have no idea how to do that. Do I back up the whole thing, or just the few things I've downloaded? Are CDs involved, or System Restore enough?

See? No clue.

It's weird. I ran CleanUp! on the old computer all the time, and there never seemed to be a problem. Yeah, it was slow, and glitchy, but the thing was older than God, and when it finally crapped out (imagine a slow, beat-up, sputtering car dying and coming to a stop, and you'll get the idea), I was a little relieved. Especially when the new computer came around.

But I digress.

So . . . backing up. How do I do that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:06 PM

There are many different ways to backup your computer files.
You could clone the entire harddrive. You should have a CD with your operating system files that came with your comp. You could choose to only back up your pictures letters or any work product that is on your comp. This can be done on a CD, flash drive, external hard drive, in another computer or a different folder on your comp.
I use Ccleaner and have never had a problem. Just stay away from the "issues" button that cleans the registry! There is a program that will back up your registry every time the computer starts up called Erunt. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html
Hope this answers your question.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users