Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 shutdown - memory errors - DCOM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ajg617

ajg617

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:09 AM

I know this has been discussed in many forums, but he solutions that I've read just don't seem match what I see when I try to correct the problem.  Of concern now is that I'm getting memory errors on shutdown.  The only system errors logged are Event ID 10016 and 10010 and they always seem to occur in pairs and many times per day. 

System is a Toshiba Satellite P55t with 1TB HDD, Win 10 pro (upgraded from Win 8.1 which was the original OS), i7, 8GB. 

For example, received 'an instruction at referenced memory could not be read' message at shutdown at the car dealer this morning.  Got home, booted system - black screen.  Had to power off and re-boot.  Thankfully, it came up as I lost my desktop last weekend.

Could anyone assist in helping me clean this up?

Thanks,

AJG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:57 AM

There are several versions of the P55t, the A5202, C5114, A5118, etc.  Which is yours?

If you believe that your problem is memory related you should run Memtest86.

Looking for the p55t specifications I found indications that it comes with 8GB (2x 4GB) of RAM.  I would suggest that you first remove the modules one at a time.  Test the one module in the DIMM slot it is currently in, then try it in the other slot.  Do this with the other module as well.  If there is a problem with either module you should replace the module.

If you don't find any problems you can run Memtest86 to be certain if there is a problem or not with the modules.

1)  Please download the Memtest86 Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO file.

2)  Unzip the downloaded memtest86 file.  You will need a program like 7-Zip to unzip this file.

3) Intructions for using the 7-Zip can be see in the video below.

4)  Inside, you will find the memtest86 file.

5)  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

6)  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

7)  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

8)  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

9)  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

10)  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

11) Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.  

Please note:  It may be neccessary to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and the hdd second.

Each pass consists of 8 tests, it is suggested that you run at least 7 passes, this will take several hours, you may find it simpler to let it run overnight.  The longer you run the passes the more comprehensive the results will be.

If you are running multiple modules and have a failure, remove all but one module and test it separately, continue this with each module till you find the one that failed.  

When you discern that a module is good, use it to test each slot to be sure there isn't a problem with one of them.

When the test is complete a display similar to the one below will appear.  Note the locations of the Pass and Errors, any Error is indicative of a failed module.

memtest1_zps7be717f5.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ajg617

ajg617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:03 PM

Thanks dc3.  I have the A5118.  Will run through the tests next weekend.  Interestingly, I have two identical machines - one with Cortana disabled and one with it enabled.  It is the disabled Cortana version that I'm have this problem with - and only on shutdown.  That said, the two machines are used differently - one with Cortana enabled is the better half's and she only uses IE/Edge.  I use only FF on the other and I've run into some issues with FF fast start and Win 7 on other machines.  I've read recommendations for this set of errors to set a shutdown script with a 30 second timer.  Since I use the power button to shutdown, I'm wondering if I'm not giving the OS time enough to clean up before shutting down though it seems this pair of errors occurs very frequently while the system is up.

thx,

ajg

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:11 AM

As far back as Windows 95 you would shut down the computer and eventually receive the message "It's safe to turn off your computer" where you would press the power button to complete the shutdown.

Then you could use the Start Menu option Shut Down to turn off the computer.  Then Microsoft introduced the Advance Configuration Power Interface (ACPI) which will allow you to simply press the power button and it would go through the process of shutting down the applications and files and then turn off the computer.  Of as far as the pseudo hibernation goes.  This is an example a "normal" shutdown for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.  This is a proper way to shutdown the computer.  But it is still possible to do a "hard shutdown", this can cause problems since there is the possibility that there are applications or files which haven't shutdown properly and can be damaged.

So... the question is are you doing a hard shutdown or just pressing the power button and letting the computer shout down normally?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ajg617

ajg617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:52 PM

I had changed the power button power down by pressing the power button - default power settings were to put it into hibernation or sleep if power button was pressed with original load of 8.1.  When I upgraded to Win 10, the default power settings were restored to go into hibernation when I pressed the power button.  Changed again.

On older Windows versions, I'd used the User Profile Hive Cleanup executable which greatly improved clean shutdowns. 

However, I've been going to the start menu and powering down lately rather than hitting the button - no memory errors yet.  Wondering if additional cleanup is being done using start menu option.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:03 AM

If it works, keep doing it that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users