Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windowsXP 32bit SP4

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:41 AM

So anyone mess with windowsXP 32bit SP4, my self i downloaded it but didn't test it ....dont feal like messing up my box over it.

Relly what i should do it setup a computer with a clean install of SP3 and drivers on a old 40gig hdd or something "yes i still have some" and see what happens.

from what i can tell thoguh SP4 wants to install a lot of things i wouldn't mind having but at the same time it wants to install a lot of things i dont like flash player, and its made by haxor X lol so you know.

So what do you all think ? anyone try it yet ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:02 PM

I have heard of this update package but never played with it. Essentially it is an unofficial service pack which means you play with it at your own risk. The method you are proposing is as safe as it gets for having a go with a package like this - a clean computer with nothing on it but the essentials and a hard drive  you can afford to wipe if it goes pear shaped.

An interesting experiment but you do it at your own risk !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:52 PM

its made by haxor X lol so you know.

Actually I believe the username is harkaz ;)  .   I haven't bothered with it since I only have two XP computers left and they haven't been on in more than a year.   I believe the main function of that unofficial service pack is to provide security updates for XP.

I've installed several of the updates that the folks over at the MSFN forums have come out with but I always use a system that I can just wipe and start fresh with if things ever go downhill...lol.   So far I've had great luck.

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:39 AM

Ya i do the same, if things get weard i just full wipe, was a time i use to wipe once a month just for the hell of it.

hemm setting up to test SP4 would be a lot of work, need to setup a test box + run it past a 10 pack of anti-virus + other tools and see what happens.

Hope in the install i can pick and chose what i want befor installing on all topic cus relly a lot of the stuff in it i don't want "like flash player"

Ya its about updates, guy raided the net for any and all updates he could find out thier offical or not and called it SP4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users