Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira maual update question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:43 AM

Seems Avira now wants you to download a tool to get updates, not relly my stile :/

Serched the net for like 2 hours or so and couldn't find any FTP servers with updates to do it old school stile.

I relly only like full redistributable updates like it all ways use to be, im stuck in my ways and thats how i like doing itm yes im old lol started with aplle II+ 1mgz cpu 64k ram comptuers.

Anything that i have to download that wants a network connection is a *.exe and comes with no TOS in my world tends to get on my bad side and sets off privacy alarm bells.

i don't see why i would have to use a updater tool to download a file, whats wrong with my browser O_o

anyone know of a 3rd party site for avira VDX update files ? 

tnx in advace.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:01 PM

I always liked doing manual updates myself. Since I live in the boondocks, I use to download updates at work where we had high speed Internet access, save to a usb drive and bring them to my home computers. Much quicker that way.

We have a few members who use Avira....hopefully one of them will stop by.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:44 AM

Relly don't want to have to setup a 2nd computer just to download updates.

Mostly i tend to just use street smarts when it comes to social engineering attacks.

Now i wouldn't expect the avira update downloader tool to do anything evil or harm my pc but it seems to me that when it comes to computer anything of late its a free for all when it comes to privacy invasion and that's basically why when i see a app like that  from anyone i don't like em in general.

My self with my computer setup i do everything i can to not be part of the privacy rape party that seems to be going on and i have no facts, no prof of anything on the Avira downloader tool and im not claiming anything other then just having a gut feeling about the topic, knee jerk reaction is that they are using it for data mining.

I could just for fun sand box it with some software or guess and run wire-shark at the same time and see what happens but even if i did find anything i have a feeling i know what the joke is and "B" i dont really want to hurt Avira publicly, sadly when it comes to anti-virus of late the amount of em out their that dont flip if you dont have a internet connection and want to spy on end users or are cloud based and want internet connections "meaning can be used on computers with no internet" is getting harder and harder to find.

prof i have that its spyware = none but the fact of the matter is why would you ever do it this way for any software or updates vs FTP server or just download site combo if it wasn't to have a helper on the inside to scan the pc before download and send that info to home base or in some cases iv seen from 3rd party downloader apps on the net they try and install crap + spy on your box the min you run their downloader.

Sadly even if your pro with fire-shark its really hard to know anything with it even with a full capture seeing as chances are everything encrypted.

Use to have a app "most it was for hacking other apps" that could sand box something and everything it did you'd get a print out of it, forget what it was called.

Min the Avira update downloader should come with a legal agreement/privacy agreement but doesn't :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users