Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Link is Annoying

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:05 AM

For years I've had a My Yahoo homepage on a Firefox browser. Last week I uninstalled Firefox and installed Google Chrome. Now, when I go to My Yahoo with my Chrome browser, at the right end of the My Yahoo Menu Bar, that thin purple strip just under the Bookmarks Toolbar which has the home icon and other options, there's a Firefox logo and a link saying 'Install the New Firefox'. Clicking on that link brings you to a Firefox download page. 

I find this annoying and want to get rid of it. Is there a way to remove that link?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The_Codesee

The_Codesee

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:09 AM

Can you post a screenshot?

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:54 AM

Can you post a screenshot?

Yes, please do.

I do not use Chrome, but I cannot fathom any way that you would be prompted within Chrome to install Firefox.

I have a feeling this is a cootie, probably some sort of adware/junkware/crapware, "fake" Firefox, or worse....

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 03 December 2016 - 09:55 AM.

#4 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:37 AM

I've got a screen shot for you but I don't see a way to attach the link. How would I do that? I don't see the customary paper clip icon.

#5 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:56 AM

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to include a screenshot in a post. I've got one but don't know how to attach it. 

#6 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:47 AM

Hi:

This section of the forum does not permit attachments.

You just need to upload your file to a reputable file-hosting site, such as Imgur, and then paste the link into your next reply.

Here is my example:

http://imgur.com/a/yU3E1

Thanks,

MM

#7 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:55 AM

I'll try that later tonight or tomorrow. I must be away for the rest of today. Thanks. I've got a good screen shot of what I'm talking about too. Just don't have the time right now to look into it. 

#8 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:10 PM

Hi:

That's fine.

It only takes a second to upload an image to Imgur or to similar sites.

I don't know if you are talking about your new computer or your old one.

Either way, I just cannot fathom why you would see a legitimate "ad" for Firefox in Chrome, or even at the Yahoo home page.

So -- at the risk of causing you to worry -- I have a feeling you might be seeing a malvertisement on a webpage, or that you might have a cootie?

Someone will be here to help when you return: "bleeping" never sleeps...

Cheers,
MM

#9 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:39 AM

Thanks. I went to the Imgur link but got nothing out of it. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it. There doesn't seem to be an explanation. I've got the screenshot stored. If you could walk me through that it would help. Sorry. These are things I've never done before and there's a learning curve. I've always been able to simply attach a file using the 'paper clip' icon. 

By the way, I should have mentioned that this is on the old laptop but I'm assuming it would also appear on the new one when I sign on to Chrome with the same My Yahoo homepage. When I figure out how to do it, I'l send the aforementioned screenshot as well as a shot of the screen you see when you click on the link. It's a Firefox download page. It doesn't appear suspicious but you never know. What makes me wonder is that I used Firefox for years before switching to Chrome just last week and that link had never appeared until I uninstalled Firefox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users