Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Assembled PC gets error message while booting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 shivashishsarkar

shivashishsarkar

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:04 AM

Most of the times (95% of the cases) when I try to boot my computer I get a black screen in some time that has the following information:

"Intel Boot Agent Activated

DHCP:.../"

And in some time I get a loop of:

"Please select boot device and enter a key"

Finally, its either stuck up there or I restart the PC as many times as required to finally get it to boot successfully. It requires generally 7-10 tries before booting works. I have tried my best to recall the message on the black screen as closely as possible. I don't know how to record that screen. Is there any way to do it? 

I have attached a speccy text file with information of my computer. 

Could you help me with this issue? Let me know if additional information is required. 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:44 AM

Your topic title reads, "Assembled...booting." Is this a home-build and you are attempting to boot the first time?

Please post a Speccy report this way, it's a lot easier to read:

Please go Here and download Speccy system analyzer (free) and save to your computer's desktop. Install it.

Open Speccy. Give it a few seconds to scan your system.

Click File \Publish Snapshot.

In the next screen, click yes.

In the next screen, click Copy To Clipboard.

In your next post, paste that link in the post. Do not post the entire log, just the link provided.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 shivashishsarkar

shivashishsarkar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:16 PM

I don't know what you call it but I would say it's a home build as it was assembled at home by some technical people. Most of the parts are 4 years old. All the vital parts. My PC isn't starting so as soon as it does I will run speccy.

Edited by shivashishsarkar, 03 December 2016 - 10:23 PM.

#4 shivashishsarkar

shivashishsarkar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:22 PM

No, I am not trying to boot it for this first time. Its 4 year old now. I have attached an image of the black screen below captured using my phone.

Attached Files

#5 shivashishsarkar

shivashishsarkar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:49 AM

Major update: I cleaned up the inside of the cabinet and the problem hasn't showed up since. Should we still proceed with the issue? By the way, I have another problem with my computer.

#6 shivashishsarkar

shivashishsarkar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:39 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gvAbiLad33knLHyT8ObCoTC

For your reference. 

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:10 PM

Glad your problem was resolved. From the picture you posted and the error message at the very top, the BIOS could not find an operating system to start the boot sequence. I suspect that the main hard drive cable had come loose, and in cleaning the case it made connection again, and that was the actual problem. You might want to unplug and re-plug firmly all connector cables to your hard drive and optical drive just to make sure you don't have this problem again.

By the way, I have another problem with my computer

What problem is that?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 shivashishsarkar

shivashishsarkar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:13 PM

I will try reconnecting the cables. As far as the other problem is concerned, it's an error message that is displayed on screen when the operating system is all running. I have encountered it only once. If I do receive the dialogue box again, i will screen capture the same and post it here. So, I believe this thread should be slowed to remain for some koee time. Thanks for all your help so far.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:14 AM

Glad to help.

#10 shivashishsarkar

shivashishsarkar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:07 AM

This is to inform that the problem has
relapsed. I am getting the black DHCP error screen again. Now, computer freezes before this screen appears on restart. We should get back to this issue and reach a conclusion now. I would request the person who has helped me so far to get back to diagnosing this issue. If any action be necessary on my part, do let me know.

Edited by shivashishsarkar, 14 December 2016 - 04:09 AM.

#11 shivashishsarkar

shivashishsarkar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:30 AM

As directed by Ranchhand_, I have tried unplugging and plugging in the wires inside the cabinet. The problem not corrected. So, I would think, the issue lies elsewhere. Are you getting back to working on this issue with me Ranchhand_?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:51 AM

FWIW:  Posted error message indicates that system is trying to boot from network, IMO.  What is the first boot device elected in the BIOS?

Typically...a system may try to boot from network when the CMOS battery needs to be replaced.

Louis

#13 shivashishsarkar

shivashishsarkar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:35 AM

As an update, this is another error I am receiving. I have attached an image below. And, this is the first time I have encountered this error.

Edited by shivashishsarkar, 16 December 2016 - 10:36 AM.

#14 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:59 AM

As directed by Ranchhand_, I have tried unplugging and plugging in the wires inside the cabinet. The problem not corrected. So, I would think, the issue lies elsewhere. Are you getting back to working on this issue with me Ranchhand_?

Best i can tell its trying to boot off something and can't so it tries to boot off of anything it can next including lan, and yes keep en eye on bios settings for what boots first in the list.

Maybe its time to replace cables, hdd , reinstall on diffent hdd and see what happens.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:55 PM

I've seen this error in relationship to problems with the MBR.  Do you have the installation disc that was used to install this version of Windows 7?  If you don't, I would suggest contacting the person who make the Windows 7 installation and request that the give you the disc.

Repair Installation Instructions

Attention:  In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the optical driver is the first device in the boot order, and the HDD/SSD is the second devcice.

1.  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, do so.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4.  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to repiar, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7.  Click on Command Prompt from the list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

8.  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

When the Command Prompt opens copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

bootrec /rebuildbcd

You should see the following message.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users