Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus/Malware/Firewall help on new install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smokeejoe

smokeejoe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:00 AM

Hey all,

First post here, might get kinda long.. looking for advice/insight on AV, malware and firewall software. I'm upgrading my computer and doing a fresh install of Windows 7.  Since my last install of about 3 or 4 years ago I've been using Avast Free, Malware Bytes Free as an on-demand scanner and Comodo Firewall version 5.12.

I plan on keeping Malware Bytes Free and the Comodo Firewall.  I think most people are in agreeance (is "agreement" more proper?) over Malware Bytes; can someone recommend a more comprehensive stand alone firewall?  I realize Comodo 5.12 is older than dirt but I've used it for so long and I love its features - is anyone aware if the age of this software is detrimental in any way?

For AV, I'm considering going the paid route and grabbing Kaspersky AV to put on the 3 machines I use.  I've used free AV for like.. ever, but I don't want to deal with a free program deciding to install some safe browsing BS (I'm looking at you Avast).  Furthermore, after a bit of research it seems most free AV nowadays are finding new and better ways to put bleep on your computer.  I consider myself a better than average user but I don't have much experience with paid AV programs - will I have to deal with the same crap?

I have two Win7 machines and one Win10 machine; I've heard good and bad things about Kaspersky working with either OS so really looking for some help on this one.. like good and bad experiences running it on either OS.

Also, any thoughts on these 2 programs?

CCleaner - I used to use this one a lot to remove temp files and such but lately only use it to remind myself what processor and video card I have installed as it shows up on the first screen, HA! Anyone using this one still?

PeerGuardian/PeerBlock - recently this one changed so that you have to pay to get updated blocklists.  Apparently, some people provide updated free lists but I haven't checked them out.  I've been using it for a long time (like back in Limewire and uTorrent days) and I think it's more of a habit install than anything else.  How useful is this program?

I think that's about it. To sum up - looking for advice mostly on firewall and AV solutions. Thanks in advance for your help and insight!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:23 AM

Hi

can someone recommend a more comprehensive stand alone firewall?

Just my opinion, But whats wrong with the Windows firewall? its a good solid product and its already on your PC.

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 05:23 AM

Paid AVs tend to not have crap (most reputable vendors don't) since the extras that come with free AVs are meant to pay the costs of the software itself - with paid AVs you already pay for them, there is no need to put in extras. If you are looking for an AV that does not put crap on your computer, consider Sophos Home.

Older versions of software tend to have unpatched vulnerabilities, which goes double for security software. Besides HIPS firewalls (like Comodo) are annoying with their many alerts - the Windows Firewall from W7 and later works just fine for home users.

I'm not a big fan of Kaspersky in the way that they put in all kinds of stuff that are either redundant or unnecessary for an AV, especially the Total Security package. If you are getting it for the AV component, get Kaspersky Anti-Virus. If you really want a third-party firewall, get Internet Security.

CCleaner and PeerBlock are still popular and used frequently, so I don't think there will be problems. Just don't use CCleaner's registry cleaning function.

P.S. If you are looking for something that replaces both an AV, Malwarebytes and a third-party firewall, there is Emsisoft Internet Security. AV, AM and firewall all in one package - and no extras!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:36 AM

You need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution with real-time protection for maximum protection.

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.
Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free is just a stand-alone scanner which offers advanced malware detection and removal...it does not provide any real-time protection and therefore, it cannot be used to block or prevent malware infection.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium includes a real-time Protection Module that uses advanced heuristics scanning technology to monitor your system, prevent access to and from known malicious webpages, and prevent the installation of most new malware, stopping malware distribution at the source...it is not free but it is worth the investment.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:39 AM

Also...you may be interested in reading this...
Announcing Beta of Malwarebytes 3.0, a Next-Generation Antivirus Replacement

#6 smokeejoe

smokeejoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:12 PM

Hi

can someone recommend a more comprehensive stand alone firewall?

Just my opinion, But whats wrong with the Windows firewall? its a good solid product and its already on your PC.

I've actually never used it so I can't really answer that.  I guess I just assume anything that comes free from Microsoft is not good.. and I've always liked the features of Comodo; just unsure if it being such an old version is an issue. 

Thanks for the link.  So this new Malwarebytes says it will replace the need for an AV.. what do you think about that? Given your first statement:

You need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution with real-time protection for maximum protection.

Also - any thoughts on the use of Comodo firewall version 5.12 and PeerGuardian?

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:26 PM

I have always used Windows built-in Firewall which provides adequate protection.Malwarebytes is moving into the same direction as Emsisoft did with their product....providing comprehensive protection with anti-virus and anti-malware technology...see New: Emsisoft Anti-Malware 12 – Keeping you safe from ransomware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users