Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sanyo TV connecting with everything but my laptop

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DrFineSoda

DrFineSoda

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:21 PM

Hey guys, sorry to have a first post like this but I'm at my wits end.  I know my way around a computer but this problem has me stumped, so I'm biting the bullet and reaching out to see if maybe there's something I'm just overlooking.

I recently bought a Sanyo DP46841 for a pretty decent price, and I'm attempting to connect my laptop to it via HDMI. My laptop is a Asus G46VW laptop, which I'm connecting to the TV because the laptop screen has been broken for a while, and while I do plan to fix that eventually, I've just been connecting it to an old Dynex TV I got ages ago (which it is connect to right now as I type this.)

The TV has 3 HDMI inputs, the laptop one output. The laptop and the cable are not the problem, because as stated above, my laptop is connecting fine to my old TV;  and I know the 3 ports on the TV are not the problem, because I have tested all of them with my Chromecast, and I get a signal without a hitch from it on all inputs.  Do the same with the laptop, however, and there's nothing doing.

I also plugged an old VGA cord into the TV and the laptop, and there was a video signal with that, but VGA sucks and I'd rather not have to use it if I can help it at all.  Also, I know the computer is detecting the TV, because I can see in the Device Manager that the TV shows up as a monitor, and I even see it listed in the Audio Devices section as Sanyo-LCD something.

So, I'm at a loss.  If you need any more info definitely let me know, if you can think of something else I can try, hardware or software, let me know for sure!  As of right now my set up is laptop connected with VGA to old Dynex TV, connected with HDMI to new TV, and set to extend display in Screen Settings.  Thanks for the help in advance!

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention, the laptop has the latest version of Windows 10!

Edited by DrFineSoda, 02 December 2016 - 11:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:16 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! There is lots to learn on this site...

Anyway, while the HDMI is connected to the two devices, press the following key combination on the keyboard to switch to the other screen and let me know if it worked: Press the Windows Key (aa922834-ed43-40f1-8830-d5507badb56c_39.)+P at the same time and release, and then use the down arrow key three times and hit Enter.

Edited by Kakuzu, 03 December 2016 - 01:17 AM.

#3 DrFineSoda

DrFineSoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:24 AM

No dice, I even turned on Narrator to make sure I was selecting the right option, still no signal.  And when I tried setting it to extend, my broken laptop screen light up, so I know it's actually applying the settings, but still just no signal on the TV.

EDIT: and just to test it out i plugged my old TV in the same way and tried what you said above, worked fine, tried it on all inputs on the back of the TV, nothing.

Edited by DrFineSoda, 03 December 2016 - 01:28 AM.

#4 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:33 AM

Exactly how many displays do you connect at a time?

May I have a specification list? (Processor, RAM, video card model, etc.)

We may have to uninstall the driver for the TV connected by HDMI and allow the Windows 10 driver to install. Might have a compatibility issue on our hands, but let me know the specs first, please. :)

#5 DrFineSoda

DrFineSoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:52 AM

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Now I do have 2 separate video cards:

Card name: Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

As for how many displays, before I try anything I disconnect the temporary VGA connection I made, so its just the broken laptop display, and the TV via HDMI

I can get the device manager up with all 3 plugged in but they're all labeled as Generic PNP monitor so I don't know which one to try uninstalling and reinstalling :/

Edited by DrFineSoda, 03 December 2016 - 01:53 AM.

#6 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:15 AM

Have you checked for updates for either of the video cards' drivers?

#7 DrFineSoda

DrFineSoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:29 AM

Yeah there was an update for both of them, no change after updating, tho

#8 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:52 PM

Are you using the two video cards actively, or is the onboard one disabled?

#9 DrFineSoda

DrFineSoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:27 PM

They're both active, at the very least I've never manually disabled either of them

#10 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:38 PM

Are you trying to work with NVIDIA's SLI technology? If not, then disable the onboard card (Intel HD 4000). SLI would not work anyway combining a NVIDIA with an Intel GPU.

See after that if you can use the TV.

Unless the specialized option is available, using two video cards at the same time is hard on the motherboard and confusing to the system. Might be a cause, but let's see for sure.

#11 DrFineSoda

DrFineSoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:39 PM

Disabled the intel hd card, still no effect, think i should leave it disabled just in case?

#12 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:53 PM

If it does not affect anything, then yes, leave it disabled.

As far as what we can do is...

• Try a new HDMI cable?

• Connect only the TV?

• USB to HDMI?

Honestly, there is so many options. There is also the DVI converter for USB to DVI to connect to the TV if it's available on the TV.

#13 DrFineSoda

DrFineSoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:58 PM

hm yeah i think there is a dvi cable slot, I guess ill try that, either way looks like this is going to be a fix that needs some sort of new hardware.  Oh well, thanks for the help!

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 05:00 PM

I'm just throwing this idea out and I may be all wet but your old TV which does work may have a different resolution than the Sanyo. Check your Nvidia setting and make sure the resolution is set to what your new TV is using. Also, if your old TV is a CRT then it's using a CRT which has a higher refresh rate. Your new LCD tv should be set to 60Hz. Because you would need to change this setting when connected to the old TV be careful as this may be a one shot deal. After changing to the new TV resolution you may be losing the ability to connect to the old TV. As I said, this is just a guess.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2593/~/how-do-i-setup-my-nvidia-based-graphics-card-to-work-with-my-hdtv%3F

#15 DrFineSoda

DrFineSoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 05:03 PM

now that you mention it, i think my old tv might have a different refresh rate after all, because i remember it being something weird, I don't have time to try this out right now, but i'll try it out later and keep you guys posted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users