Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RSA 2048 and AES 128 ciphers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 SidneyWilkinson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:39 PM

I opened an e-mail attachment that I though was from my bank. It was not and consequently I ended up with some kind of virus that is leaving a message on my desktop to download a product and follow the instructions. I dare not. It says something about Tor Browser. Can anyone help me "fix" or get rid of it? It has also assigned numbers to all of my files with zzzzzz at the end of each one..   PLEASE HELP if you can.

Thanking you in advance,

Sid Wilkinson

Mod Edit

Post moved from Windows 8 to Am I Infected

Edited by NickAu, 03 December 2016 - 01:31 AM.
Post Moved

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,750 posts
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:26 AM

You are a victim of ransom ware. See info in link below for support.

Ransomware Help & Tech Support

EDIT: Locky Ransomware putting us to sleep with the ZZZZZ Extension 

November 24, 2016

Edited by buddy215, 03 December 2016 - 02:21 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,735 posts
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:58 PM

RSA-4096 / RSA-2048 / RSA-1024 are encryption algorithms and not an explicit way of identifying a particular ransomware infection.

Any files that are encrypted with Dharma Ransomware (a new variant of CrySiS) will have an .[<email>].dharma, .[<email>].wallet or .<email>.zzzzz extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename (i.e. [worm01@india.com].dharma, [bitcoin143@india.com].wallet, [amagnus@india.com].zzzzz) and leave files (ransom notes) named README.txt, README.jpg as explained here.

The .zzzzz variant is a spoof of Locky Ransomware but the original filename is not renamed like the real Locky...see here.

Locky encrypted files will be renamed with random alpha-numerical characters and have the .zzzzz extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename in the following format...(i.e. A65091F1B14A911F0DD0E81ED3029F08..zzzzz)...as noted above by the link buddy215 provided.

You can submit samples of encrypted files and ransom notes to ID Ransomware for assistance with identification and confirmation. This is a service that helps identify what ransomware may have encrypted your files and then attempts to direct you to an appropriate support topic where you can seek further assistance. Uploading both encrypted files and ransom notes together provides a more positive match and helps to avoid false detections.

Unfortunately, there is no known way at this time to decrypt files encrypted by Dharma variants without paying the ransom. Our crypto malware experts who analyze these infections suspect another cyber criminal forked the code and generated their own keys which were not part of the leaked master decryption keys for the original CrySiS variants.

There is an ongoing discussion in this topic where you can post comments, ask questions and seek further assistance. Other victims have been directed there to share information, experiences and suggestions.Rather than have everyone with individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any more questions, comments or requests for assistance in the above support topic discussion...it includes experiences by experts, a variety of IT consultants, end users and company reps who have been affected by ransomware infections. To avoid unnecessary confusion, this topic is closed.

The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users