Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Digital audio via PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jmcgarva

jmcgarva

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:19 PM

Hey all. So I purchased a home theater system today. I want to use it for PC speakers. It has a digital input. You can either use a digital coax (orange cable) or Digital optical connection to send music to it.

I was thinking I can do 2 different things and I dont know which would be better.

One would be run a converter. It would be analog (3.5mm male like headphone jack) to a red/white rca connection > Converter < either  digital coax  or Digital optical connection to the receiver

The other option would be getting a sound card that has a digital coax and/or digital optical connection option. I rather do this if its an option. 

My question would be, would this type of sound card work to run the digital home theater system.

Here is the coverrter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATNWBZU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2WXIT89T9GC4E

Here the sound board.   https://www.valleyseek.com/asus-mio-audio-892-asus-mio-892-sound-board/store/show_item/317052/?source=googleps&gclid=CjwKEAiA1ITCBRDO-oLA-q_n8xYSJADjBQfGWtLmhcLzKEmPEmwDmBV0lAdXNQi1KyCPo2_9vNM60BoCzZDw_wcB

Thanks in advance and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:27 PM

Either of those options should work for you. In theory it's better to not go via analog, which will limit the sound quality to some degree, although it's debatable whether you could hear the effect. However using the sound card would also allow you to drive more than just 2 stereo channels from the PC.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 jmcgarva

jmcgarva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:38 PM

Ok So if I were to get this sound card, would i have to change anything in my BIOS? I have a sound card with a coax connection, but when I hook it up nothing happens. The computer recognizes it and I didnt get to catch whether or not it downloaded the driver for it. I looked in my device mang. but didnt see anything... Actually I dont even know if this is a sound card being it also has two VGA hook ups.. Is this a basic video card??

But if I were to purchase a sound card with the coax and/or optical, that is all I will need to run this theater system? Nothing else? And will I have to change anything in the BIOS?

Thanks

sound_board_1.jpg

sound_board_2.jpg

sound_board_3.jpg

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:23 PM

That looks like a old multimedia video card with composite output, unless it's a sound card with breakout cables that provide multiple inputs and outputs. Identifying the IC chips will tell what it is. Normally nothing will need to be changed in the BIOS for Plug&Play Windows components.

When you say "run this theater system", what are you wanting it to do? Which home theater system is it, how does it operate? You're not giving us much to go on.

Edited by Platypus, 02 December 2016 - 11:25 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 jmcgarva

jmcgarva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:11 AM

That looks like a old multimedia video card with composite output, unless it's a sound card with breakout cables that provide multiple inputs and outputs. Identifying the IC chips will tell what it is. Normally nothing will need to be changed in the BIOS for Plug&Play Windows components.

When you say "run this theater system", what are you wanting it to do? Which home theater system is it, how does it operate? You're not giving us much to go on.

What I want to do is use the home theater system as speakers for my PC. Its a Sony STR-K6701P

So say if I play music, or games, or whatever on my PC, it will come through the speakers on the home theater system. I want to be able to control the vol and such on the receiver.

The receiver has 2 inputs. One digital coax and one digital optical. This would be coming from a TV or something like that. 

It also has 4 videos in and a sub woofer in. Those 4 videos in would be used for a DVD player, CD player ETC..

Then it has the connections for the speakers. 

I did get it working by running a head phone jack plug to a red/white RCA cable into the CD/DVD jack. It works fine,  but it doesnt seem as loud as it should. Its a 1000w system and I feel like my normal computer speakers are louder then it? Would running via the digital hook ups make it louder? 

#6 jmcgarva

jmcgarva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:51 PM

Also I found this. I'm not sure if this would help any. It looks like with this, you hook the speakers right up to this box instead of the receiver. Then you run an optical cable from this sound card to the receiver??

Will it still work if I run the speakers to the receiver and just have this box hooked to my pc via a USB cable?

Like I said, it's working with the system I got, but it's only in 2.1 and it doesn't seem as loud as it should

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480787970&sr=8-1&keywords=B0044DEDca

Edited by jmcgarva, 03 December 2016 - 12:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users