Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fiber Internet - Upgrade work, life and gaming

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thewhitewolf

thewhitewolf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:21 PM

I have a Fiber internet question / idea. Short version will Fiber internet make me work faster / make my work move faster, etc...? Longer version..... I would appreciate any opinions. With my current cable internet 125 mbps down and 25 mbps up speed each internet related task I do for work ( I work from home) can take about 15 or 20 seconds of internet loading. For example many of my tasks are accessing and making changes to back end of a website, or processing a PayPal refund, accessing and editing Google sheets, etc... I do these things frequently throughout the day. Would Fiber internet significantly reduce my work times? For example if I do 500 work related tasks in a day at 20 seconds each task that is about 166 minutes of work (waiting for website to load, logging in, accessing something, editing something, etc...) If I used Fiber internet (at a speed of something like 960 mbps download and 200 mbps upload would my 166 minutes of work most likely be significantly reduced at possibly 100 minutes or less?

I am considering moving to a nearby city to have access to Fiber internet. If my theory is correct in that Fiber internet it will save many hours per month of constantly staring at web actions loading slowly (what I think is slow).

My computer is good overall. Windows 10, i7-3770k @3.5ghz processor, 16 gb ram, gtx 980ti video card, asus sabertooth z77 motherboard (Max LAN Speed10/100/1000Mbps). I do maintain the latest drivers as often as possible. Note: I do plan on upgrading most of PC soon.

I have not played online multiplayer / co-op PC games in a few years. However I wanted to get back into it. Would Fiber internet make online gaming almost flawlessly smooth? I remeber back in Borderlands 1 and 2 days the games where mostly smooth online however a lot of action seemed to create some lag / hiccups. Thanks for any input!

Edited by thewhitewolf, 02 December 2016 - 10:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:53 AM

Do you have a VPN? If so, is it a client or server? Have you tried disabling it and see if normal webpages are faster? If they are, I would suggest getting a router that can handle the VPN at higher speeds. Would need to know what kind of VPN you are using to make router suggestions though. 125Mbps/25Mbps should be MORE then enough for normal web pages. If they are taking 15-20 seconds, you are likly having non ISP problems.

#3 thewhitewolf

thewhitewolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:04 AM

Do you have a VPN? If so, is it a client or server? Have you tried disabling it and see if normal webpages are faster? If they are, I would suggest getting a router that can handle the VPN at higher speeds. Would need to know what kind of VPN you are using to make router suggestions though. 125Mbps/25Mbps should be MORE then enough for normal web pages. If they are taking 15-20 seconds, you are likly having non ISP problems.

Thank you kindly for the reply. I do not use a VPN. With my modem, connected to my router, to my PC I am receiving my ISP's advertised 125 down and 25 up. To be more specific I was not referring website taking 15 - 20 seconds to load. I work on an extremely busy / active online store and do many of the same tasks every day (doing customer service and logistics related tasks (full time work). 

Overall I usually have 5 to 10 web browser tabs open and if I use Firefox or Chrome and web browsing / working speeds seem to be similar. The seconds below are the loading times that occur after I click my mouse or press enter on my keyboard for an action on a website.

I have observed it can take about 45 seconds of internet loading times for me complete one work task. This includes logging in to e-commerce back end, find an order in e-commerce back end, logging in to PayPal, refunding the order in PayPal, and then updating the order to a refunded status in the back-end. The 45 seconds is only the internet loading time (does not include me clicking my mouse, pressing enter, typing, using a keyboard shortcut /performing an action on a website (example, clicking the mouse to process a refund).

This basically means that if I do 200 tasks in a day with 45 seconds of loading time each that is 150 minutes. Would I be correct in thinking that working on a Fiber connection with something like 960 mbps download and 200 mbps would greatly reduce my load times. Possibly making that 150 minutes each day I look at the screen loading could be reduced to 100 minutes or less?

Luckily Fiber internet is being set up in my friend's neighborhood so I will be able to try it / try out my theory. Should be within a few months. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users