Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built a desktop and it won't run

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zamoraendor

Zamoraendor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:39 PM

So I built a desktop and after hooking everything up properly to my knowledge I pushed the power button and it turns on for a few seconds and the fans power up then it turns off for a few seconds and repeats this cycle until I turn the PSU off. Help?

Here are the specs:

-Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I76700K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530

-Gigabyte H170 Gaming 3 LGA 1151 motherboard (supports DDR4)

-EVGA Supernova 650 G2 Gold power supply

-SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E250B/AM

-G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2133C15D-8GVR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:59 PM

You didn't bend CPU socket pins?

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:06 PM

New builds are a major part of my service.  First, assemble everything outside the case.  Only the bare essentials to start.  MOBO, one memory card, keyboard and video card if not on MOBO.  Get that to start first, then add a CD/DVD drive to boot from and finally a hard drive.  The starting and the stopping of the fans is an indication of a shorted power supply and the main cause in new builds is a miss placed standoff shorting things out, thus the assembly outside the case.  The MOBO manual should identify the proper mounting points and those that require grounding.

#4 Zamoraendor

Zamoraendor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:21 PM

I took everything apart and put it all back together and put the wires a different way and it works now, thanks for the replies!

#5 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:09 AM

Good deal when i teach how to build, one of the most essential parts of that is learning that when something is wrong, simply go back over it and do a quick rebuild. Because when you do that you reseat your compemenets, and you also again reattach all the PSU/CASE wiring. In many cases that fixes it. Happy computing!

Edited by Zone_86, 05 December 2016 - 05:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users