Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to ping dns server made in webmin

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:08 PM

Before I state my issue. I followed this ancient, yet better description than any other walk through I could find walkthrough. http://www.beer.org.uk/bsacdns/

I named my server ubuntu-server.com and when I pinged it. It pinged some 110 network somewhere in the world. Any idea how to even grasp what the heck is going on? I didn't follow the texts and ip addresses letter for letter or number for number when doing it either. I put my own external ip and server name in place of things.

I can't find a really good step by step with a good description for each step. Its kind of a blind "do this" and it might work scenario, leaving me uneducated and truly getting nowhere. I learn better by the gui's like I'm using. I wouldn't have ever found myself in a linux os had it no been for ubuntu 6.06's desktop, crude yet understandable during a time of introduction to linux.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 02 December 2016 - 07:13 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:15 PM

Okay, you named your server "Ubuntu server.com" but what did you setup for your dynamic DNS name? That is what you would want to ping. And you would want to make sure you forwarded the ports on your router for your DNS server to access out of your network.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:20 PM

I assume thats the name server?

http://imgur.com/7chQ0da

I'll probably drive you nuts trying to get this. Right now I'm as dumb as a sack of potatoes when it comes to this. I have no idea what each areas role really does. I know there are addresses, but the only thing I ever knew about dns is that it translates a name to an ip. Past that I'm struggling severely to get this.

Yes, its on ubuntu 16.04 as well if that means anything. I was trying open suse, but webmin couldn't find packages to download necessary files for the dns server I have to set up next or the ldap server.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 02 December 2016 - 07:25 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,419 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:24 PM

Hmm... I honestly doubt it's a .com name though. Usually dynamic DNS has some weird random ending domain. For example, my dynamic DNS ends with .ddns.net. Any other settings pages on that site?

Edit*
Click on "Ubuntu server" what comes up there?

Edited by DeimosChaos, 02 December 2016 - 07:25 PM.

#5 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:39 PM

Master Zone Config Screen

Master Zone Address Records

Also, to answer your question, it just fills in the two boxes you see above. Just edit mode.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 02 December 2016 - 07:45 PM.

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,419 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:51 PM

Oh okay! So you are setting this up on your local host. I was thinking you were setting up dynamic DNS on an external server. You would probably just need to ping your internal IP... Though that may not be what you want.

I need to read through the doc you posted. I'm out right now so I'll check it out as soon as I can!

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,419 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:53 PM

Oh okay! So you are setting this up on your local host. I was thinking you were setting up dynamic DNS on an external server. You would probably just need to ping your internal IP... Though that may not be what you want.

I need to read through the doc you posted. I'm out right now so I'll check it out as soon as I can!

#8 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:53 PM

The dynamic dns I i know I can get, unless you're talking about some other type of setup for it. I use to download i think no-ip's client that would auto update every so often, but allow me to vnc/ssh into my machine from outside my house. I'd probably always use that vs making my own. Unless I can make my own and its easier :P.

But thanks for taking the time. If you're willing to work from the ground up as we're doing now, I greatly appreciate it.

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,419 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:30 PM

Okay I read through the tutorial. So I think what you need to do is create a dynamic DNS with a site like no-ip.com. Then where the tutorial had "bsac.com" you would put the name of the dynamic DNS you setup in no-ip.com. I'm pretty sure that is what you want to do. Does that make sense?

Basically, pinging ubuntu-server.com won't point to your server cause you never set anything up to do it. You might also have to forward ports in your router. Not entirely sure which ones though.

#10 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:07 PM

Right, that makes a lot more sense for a place for it to point to :P. Ill give it a try

#11 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,419 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:13 PM

Cool, let me know the results!

#12 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:41 PM

It pings but I also forgot. Wouldn't it just use my isp's dns servers? Also, where are my dns servers ip addresses if i need other computers to link to my actual server, unless theres an actual hostname you can use in place of dns servers

#13 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:51 PM

Also, it would only be just 1 dynamic dns name to go to. Don't I need all the other names in the addresses list?

#14 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,419 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:57 PM

You could use the dynamic DNS name or just the local server IP (for your local computers).

And yeah, your router/modem would be using the ISPs DNS server. You could try pointing your router to your newly created dns server and see what happens.

#15 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:01 PM

I ultimately want it so that I don't need the dns server from the router, nor the dhcp. But whats getting me at this point is what all the stuff is about in this setup. I figured you'd need to have obviously an address for the other computers to use, but I don't understand why I need a name server, why i need all these other addresses when I feel it should only be one then out to the isp.

Im under the impression that the server basically takes the place of the router itself aside from the switching part.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 02 December 2016 - 10:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users