Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ssttoenveer

Ssttoenveer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:54 PM

Im at a loss. So i decided to put an older hdd in a computer who original hdd was locked. The "new" drive had an old vista os on it, so i formatted so i could put on xp instead. I probably deleted thr partition. But my problem is when i try to create a new partition, the hdd isnt found. Im using p artition master with bartpe. However bios sees the hdd but the partition manager does not. Diskpart does not work through CMD, WHICH Is why im using a 3rd party program. How do i partition this hdd if no partition programs cant find it. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

How are you planning on installing XP - from a DVD ?  If you are I would just put the disc in the drive and re-boot. It should then boot from the XP disc and carry on to do the install. XP will do any partitioning necessary.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:25 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? Are you saying when you boot the XP install disk it does not detect your hard drive? Was XP originally on the computer?

I have found that using the bootable version of Partition Wizard will almost always detect a hard drive as it's based on the linux kernel. You can burn a CD by right clicking on any Windows 7 or later computer and selecting Burn Disk Image.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

As with most 3rd party partition managers all steps are virtual and will not complete until Apply is clicked.

#4 Ssttoenveer

Ssttoenveer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:27 PM

A bootable usb. I get into the bartpe. But it seema its trying to put the os on the stick.upon further inspection i realized ita not even recongnizeing the internal hdd. But bios knows its there.

#5 Ssttoenveer

Ssttoenveer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:29 PM

Its a dell optiplex 7010. And no it originally had windows 7 pro. But i took out that hdd and replaced it with one that originally had vista.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,283 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:33 PM

If this is a SATA disk then XP does not have native SATA drivers. They have to be slipstreamed into a computer. A BC member posted a link to a XP iso that includes SATA drivers. See the post here. It's the first link in the post.

#7 Ssttoenveer

Ssttoenveer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:37 PM

So i should use this as my bootable? Redo the bartpe? And use that iso correct? Ill give it a try.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,283 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:41 PM

Don't worry about the BartPE. You can do a clean install and delete existing partitions with the XP install disk created from the XP iso file.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-xp-2624911

#9 Ssttoenveer

Ssttoenveer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:28 PM

So i created a bootable usb with that iso. It booted into a very colorful screen with lots of different characters. Should i not make the usb bootable? I dunno what is happening.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,283 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:34 PM

You don't have a CD drive? I would create a USB bootable flash drive using the iso file and Rufus

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the XP iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

Edit: I have successfully booted the XP iso file from a CD.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 December 2016 - 07:34 PM.

#11 Ssttoenveer

Ssttoenveer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

I do have a cd but no blanks so i was usinh a usb. Is rufus like bartpe kind of?

EDIT: i figured out that its not like bartpe lol. more like power iso

Edited by Ssttoenveer, 02 December 2016 - 07:47 PM.

#12 Ssttoenveer

Ssttoenveer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:40 PM

I used poweriso to creat a bootable with that iso.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,283 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:53 PM

Rufus easily creates a bootable USB flash drive using an iso file. I have found that it rarely fails.

Poweriso can create bootable USB flash drives from a bootable iso file?

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 December 2016 - 07:54 PM.

#14 Ssttoenveer

Ssttoenveer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:17 PM

yeah, thats how i created the bart pe with an different xp iso.

#15 Ssttoenveer

Ssttoenveer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:16 PM

Thanks john. That worked out prefectly. I still wonder why poweriso didnt work. But no matter, I really appreciate it. Glad i didnt mess it up to bad. Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users