Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One stick of ram causes no display

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KittoniuM

KittoniuM

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:29 PM

I recently bought 2 used 2GB sticks of Corsair CMX2x2048-6400C5 ram, one stick works the other one causes no display.

Heres a diagram of what works and what doesn't

1 = the working stick

2 = the weird stick

1 2 - - No display

1 - - - Works fine

2 - - - No display

1 - 2 - No display

- 1 2 - No display

motherboard is an abit ib9

motherboard voltages for ram set to 1.8v

what could be the problem?

if its faulty can i RMA it?

Edited by KittoniuM, 02 December 2016 - 04:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:58 PM

I would try each/both RAM modules in a different system...and then run a memory diagnostic...before concluding anything.

Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

Louis

#3 KittoniuM

KittoniuM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:17 PM

I would try each/both RAM modules in a different system...and then run a memory diagnostic...before concluding anything.

Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

Louis

What should I do if I don't have a different system? I tried the working stick (#1) with memtest and it was fine

Edited by KittoniuM, 03 December 2016 - 07:17 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,406 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:50 PM

You have no friends with systems?  You have no systems at your workplace (assuming that are still part of the working class, unlike me)?

The switching of a RAM module...only takes a few minutes to see if the module works properly in a different system utilizing the specs for said module.

Louis

#5 KittoniuM

KittoniuM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:37 PM

You have no friends with systems?  You have no systems at your workplace (assuming that are still part of the working class, unlike me)?

The switching of a RAM module...only takes a few minutes to see if the module works properly in a different system utilizing the specs for said module.

Louis

Just tested on a different machine from 2006, no idea what motherboard it was but the ram worked

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,406 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:58 PM

Well...now that we know that module is not defective...it would seem that your system is not functioning properly. 

I would remove all modules from the motherboard...and then ensure that there is no dust or other material in the RAM slots which might hinder/impede proper performance.  Then I would try each module individually in the first RAM slot...to see if system boots properly. 

If so...then try the next RAM motherboard slot in the same manner.

Louis

#7 KittoniuM

KittoniuM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:43 PM

Well...now that we know that module is not defective...it would seem that your system is not functioning properly. 

I would remove all modules from the motherboard...and then ensure that there is no dust or other material in the RAM slots which might hinder/impede proper performance.  Then I would try each module individually in the first RAM slot...to see if system boots properly. 

If so...then try the next RAM motherboard slot in the same manner.

Louis

No idea, plugging in the #2 ram in any slot causes no display while on a different PC it works fine.

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:41 AM

My self id RMA is if i could, should work out of the box, and your ram should be in dimm #1 and #3 or #2 and #4 if you go #1 and #2 or #3 and #4 its not in dual mode.

some things we can do though if you dont want to RMA and that is run the memory in safe mode for testing.

Use one stick of ram just to boot computer then go right in to the bios.

Dissable serial presence detect (SPD) do all settings by hand.

voltage 1.9

Timing 5-5-5-18 change to 8-8-8-25

memory bus speed -50% so if you see 400mgz in bios make it 200mgz if its 200mgz drop to 100mgz etc.

no need to mess with the rest of the low level memeory settings/ leave on defalts.

Save and exit, now mess with your memory sticks, and remember you have 4 dimms on that mobo so 4 places to put your ram.

Depending what dimm you use it will be in dual channal mode or not but should still work.

Edited by shadow_647, 05 December 2016 - 04:42 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,406 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:57 AM

Run Memtest86+ with just the one module.  One complete pass takes close to 3 hours.  If any error occurs, stop the test and contact the seller for RMA procedures.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

You say these are used modules...maybe "used" means "not working properly" to the seller.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 December 2016 - 10:59 AM.

#10 DaveJoBot

DaveJoBot

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:49 PM

if RAM stick does not work than it's rather easy... RAM sick #2 simply does not work it is mostly a dead ram stick

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:19 PM

I had a unit come in once, and it took me a while to figure out that one of the slots had failed. So the problem was the slot, not the RAM stick. You might check for that. If you have already, my apologies, I did not read through all the responses. Just a thought...

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users