Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing system sounds via a .bat file?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FlyScript

FlyScript

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:36 PM

Hey there, I'd like to create a shortcut that I could click (I imagine it would be a batch file but idk) to change some system sounds (specifically Device Connect and Device Disconnect) to some sound files that I have. Let's call them sound1.wav and sound2.wav for the sake of argument.

Basically, I'd be able to plug in a thumbdrive to a PC, run the bat file (I could drag it and the sound files onto the desktop if needed), and the sounds would be changed.

However, I don't really know how to go about doing that.

Any help would be appreciated :)

-

FS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:15 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

You need to understand what changes when you change the sound you want to change.  It is a registry setting, an .INI or .CFG file?  Then you can create your batch file to make the changes from a command line.

The sloppy way to do it would be to replace the default sound files with the sound files you ant to user.  You could back up/rename the default sounds first so that you could easily remove the change.  Depending on where the files stored will depend on what rights you will need on the machine.

#3 FlyScript

FlyScript
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:25 PM

You need to understand what changes when you change the sound you want to change.  It is a registry setting, an .INI or .CFG file?  Then you can create your batch file to make the changes from a command line.

Well to change my system sound I just go into the control panel, then system sounds, then scroll down to the sound I want to change (e.g: Asterisk, Device Connected, whatever), click Browse, and then find the .WAV sound file I want to use for that system sound.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:38 PM

That change is stored somewhere, where?  Best guess would be the registry.  You'll have to find out where.  Then you can copy the files to a machine and push a registry change to point to the files.

#5 FlyScript

FlyScript
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:36 PM

I have literally no idea how to do that, I just need to know the code to set the system sound in question to a particular .WAV file

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users