Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB PCI-E Cards, with or without power connections? Features?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 2000YrsAgo

2000YrsAgo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:11 PM

Hello Everyone,

I started a thread over here https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/633433/usb-pci-e-cards-with-or-without-power-connections-features/#entry4132092 and I was recommended to come here for more assistance.

I am looking to replace my old 2.0 USB PCI cards with the PCI-E 3.0 ones. Out of the three I listed which one would you recommend to get? If the power one is the choice then why to get that over the no power one?

Also, out of the two listed under With Additional Power, do they both have to be plugged in to the power supply or just one of them?

Also, what features should I be looking for in a card as well or any info you can give to help me make an informed decision?

Also, if you think you know of a better USB 3.0 card please share it.

Thank you!

NO ADDITIONAL POWER

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Expansion-Controller-Additional-Connection/dp/B00JFR2I2C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1480411237&sr=8-5&keywords=inateck+pci-e

WITH ADDITIONAL POWER

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Express-Connector-Controller-Internal/dp/B00FPIMJEW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1480411237&sr=8-4&keywords=inateck+pci-e

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1TTVDEMMCUHHF&coliid=I1K4258492W2W6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:58 PM

PCI Express x1 slot supplies about 10W of power and USB 3.0 spesification is 4.5W max. Quite easy calculation shows benefits of powered cards if using power hungry USB devices.

Both additional power cards must be plugged to PSU.

I have no experience about those and I cannot say any better choices.

#3 2000YrsAgo

2000YrsAgo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:16 PM

PCI Express x1 slot supplies about 10W of power and USB 3.0 spesification is 4.5W max. Quite easy calculation shows benefits of powered cards if using power hungry USB devices.

Both additional power cards must be plugged to PSU.

I have no experience about those and I cannot say any better choices.

Thank you very much Drillingmachine for your help. No problem. Hope your day is going well.

#4 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:33 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Express-SuperSpeed-Adapter-Dedicated-Channels/dp/B00HJZEA2S

More expensive but has 4 dedicated USB 3 ports that are not shared like most are. Most USB 3 cards share the bandwidth between each port. I saw your other thread saying you had 4 external hard drives plugged in, not sure what you are doing but if you are copying between those drives then this may help speed things up. I have 1 in mine with the additional power connected.

The only problem is the way the ports are located, I had to cut the rear of my case slightly so the edges of the ports weren't covered.

Edited by QQQQ, 04 December 2016 - 10:35 AM.

#5 2000YrsAgo

2000YrsAgo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:15 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Express-SuperSpeed-Adapter-Dedicated-Channels/dp/B00HJZEA2S

More expensive but has 4 dedicated USB 3 ports that are not shared like most are. Most USB 3 cards share the bandwidth between each port. I saw your other thread saying you had 4 external hard drives plugged in, not sure what you are doing but if you are copying between those drives then this may help speed things up. I have 1 in mine with the additional power connected.

The only problem is the way the ports are located, I had to cut the rear of my case slightly so the edges of the ports weren't covered.

Thank you very much QQQQ for you help, assistance and info. Thank you for sharing this product and checking out the past thread. The price is past my budget at this time, but in the future I can consider this one. Good to know that some manufacturers make dedicated ones. The four hard drives were connected because I was doing backups etc.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:03 AM

QQQQ makes a good point. The more devices attached and copying or moving data at the same time will reduce bandwidth using the cards you linked to.

#7 2000YrsAgo

2000YrsAgo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:11 AM

QQQQ makes a good point. The more devices attached and copying or moving data at the same time will reduce bandwidth using the cards you linked to.

Hey JohnC_21...Good to see you again. Thank you for that great info, helpful. I can tell that my computer was slower when I was doing that. Something to think about when working on multiple devices connected to a single USB Card.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users