Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sound problem,Please help!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Kim25

Kim25

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:50 PM

I have a Dell desktop windows 7 and today my speakers just stopped working all of a sudden. I have checked everything and it shows that they are working, but they are not. I also changed out the speakers with another pair & won't work either. Do you have any suggestion...I am desperate as I can't watch my tv shows on Hulu without sound or listen to my music! Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:40 PM

In the search box type Troubleshooter > Find and Fix problems > Hardware and Sound. Run the Play Audio troubleshooter.

If nothing is found then right click the speaker icon in the System Tray > Playback devices. Make sure your Speakers have a green check mark next to them.

#3 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:05 PM

Thanks John for your reply. the troubleshooter did not find any issues and the did have a green check mark on my speakers. Do you think if I did a system restore it would fix it? I don't know what else to do.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:52 PM

Is the Windows Audio Service enable in Services and started? Right click Computer > Manager > Services. A System Restore may help but if you installed any programs after the restore date they would need to be reinstalled. I would also move any files you copied to the desktop after the Restore Date to My Documents.

Are there any yellow exclamation marks next to your sound devices in Device Manager? If you have Realtek HD then in Control Panel select large icons. You should see a Realtek icon. There may be a setting in the Realtek Audio Manager.

This could also be a hardware issue. Are these speakers external or part of your monitor? Check the audio plug in the back of the computer. Pull it out and attach it again. If the audio cable also connects to your monitor or speakers then pull the cord and attach. Are these powered speakers that require you to plug into an electrical outlet? Do the speakers have volume controls on the speakers themselves?

#5 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:52 PM

The speakers do plug into an electrical outlet and they also have volume control. I checked everything else that you suggested and it all checked out okay, but the speakers still don't have sound. I'm dumbfounded!  Thanks again, if you think of anything else let me know. I may try the Restore tomorrow as a last resort. 

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:05 AM

In Control Panel ..Sound Control Panel where it shows your connected device try selecting other things and applying default settings. Sometimes just switching between things can jumpstart things.

In the recording tab also try selecting line in etc.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:42 AM

In addition to what opera posted have you tried the speakers on another computer?

In Control Panel select large icons instead of category in the upper right drop down box. Do you see anything called Realtek HD Audio Manager? There may be a setting in the manager.

Here is a video of the manager. Yours may look different. 

#8 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:21 AM

I have already checked audio Manager...no solution there either. Everything connected to sound is showing that all is working properly, When I done the sound test it appears that it is playing, but no sound is heard.

Opera, in the sound control panel the only device it shows is Realtex high def audio. There are no other options to change the default to. My speakers are Harmon/Kardon. which I have been using for quite sometime. I switched them out yesterday with another pair because I thought maybe something was wrong with them, but those didn't work either. I have since put back my Harmons.

#9 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:24 AM

oh. I don't know if this is pertinent, but when my sound stopped working, I was listening to music on you tube.

Edited by Kim25, 03 December 2016 - 11:48 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:50 AM

If you are willing to download a small linux distro to check your sound chipset it would rule out a hardware problem if you could play an mp3 on linux. If interested I will post the instructions. Do you have an available blank CD or DVD? If not I can also give instructions on booting a USB flash drive.

#11 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:01 PM

I don't think I am qualified to do this. Sounds scary to me! I don't have Linux or know anything about it. I do have a DVD.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:13 PM

There is really nothing scary about it. You would boot the DVD and at the desktop select your hard drive partition. Browse to your music files and click on a one to launch the media player.

I recommend Fatdog64. When you boot to the desktop you would see your hard drive partitions in the lower left desktop labeled sda1 and sda2 if you only have a normally partitioned drive. There may be an sda3 if you have a recovery partition. You would click once on the sda2 partition to open up a window showing your files. If you did not see them close the window and select anohter sdax icon. Once you see your USERS directory you click once to open the folder and browse to your music folder clicking only once to open a folder. Click on an MP3 and the music player will launch. If you do not feel comfortable doing this I understand. 

This is the fatdog desktop. You would burn the iso file by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. 

Edit: If you do not decide to do this perhaps somebody you know with computer experience would help.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 December 2016 - 01:14 PM.

#13 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

Thanks John, I will think about this today and possibly see if I can find someone to help me with it. If it is my sound chipset, would that be something that I can fix? If not what would it approx. cost me to get it fixed. Just thinking maybe buying new computer while Xmas sales going on. I ran a diagnostic test on my computer at Dell this morning and everything passed except...my HARD DRIVE! It is showing failure and needs replacing according to Dell. uuugg!  So, if I have a bad sound chip plus a bad Hard drive, maybe I should just replace the Computer....BUT, I hate Windows 10 when I tried it on a friends computer. Maybe I would get used to it.  Oh what to do...decisions, decisions, decisions! If money wasn't an option, it would be a much easier decision. Thanks!

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

A failing hard drive could very well cause the sound to stop. The first thing I would do is get all your important data off the drive. 

Do you have a COA sticker on the bottom or side of the computer showing the Windows key?

#15 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:41 PM

Yes, I have the key.. Wow I sure didn't know the hard drive would cause a sound problem!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users