Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing keyboard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 myym

myym

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:11 PM

Hi,

I need to replace the keyboard on my laptop, I wanted to ask if I buy an english keyboard can I use this on a laptop that is working with a different language? Does Windows allow to write/show the foreign alphabets, or do I need to install a driver in order to work with another language than english?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Veng3r

Veng3r

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:40 PM

If you used an English keyboard it would still type in the language that is set in windows. You have to tell windows your using a different keyboard for it to match the image printed on the keys with the output you expect to see. 'Control Panel > Region and Language > Keyboard and Languages > Change Keyboard' will allow you to select another keyboard.

For example there is a uk keyboard and a us keyboard, they're both English but only the uk keyboard has a pound sign (£) for shift 3. If you had a us keyboard and told windows that you had a uk keyboard shift 3 would still give you the pound sign even though the image printed on the us keyboard for shift 3 is something different.

I'm not 100% sure how a laptop would react to a different keyboard but if you can find one that's designed specifically to fit your laptop I'd assume it would work in exactly the same way.

Edited by Veng3r, 03 December 2016 - 08:48 PM.

#3 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:39 AM

If windows can fully control the keyboard, and not a chip or any thing else then it will be harmless to buy a UK or US keyboard.

As for keyboard icons I intend to use my old keyboard icons to replace the ones that are needed.

#4 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:30 PM

Windows allows you to select a different keyboard/locale/language/etc. So, when you are using Windows, if it is not the QWERTY keyboard, then switch the keyboard setting.

Go to start, type in Edit Language and Keyboard Options, select the result from the list, and then on the screen select United Kingdom from the list to switch to that locale. :)

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:58 PM

If the language installed on this laptop is not English then I believe you will also have to install an English language pack to get the correct characters into Windows, at least that is my interpretation of the help links on the keyboard control panel.

If it has English as the installed language on the computer but a non-English language keyboard then be aware that there are two different English language keyboard layouts - UK and USA. If you have UK English on the computer you need the UK keyboard, similarly for the USA. The letters and numbers are the same but the symbols are different. If you hold the shift key down on a UK keyboard and press 1, 2, 3, 4 you will get !, ", £, $,

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

The short answer is Yes.  You can use any keyboard for any language.  The issue is that the key caps will not always match the characters, so you can't find something on the keyboard if you don't know where it is, other then hitting keys until it shows up.  You can use Region in the Control Panel to switch between languages.

#7 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:43 PM

I am using a danish keyboard but need to replace it as some buttons need to press hard on them and annoys me, but I can't find a keyboard for this model here so I can only buy english keyboards on Ebay. They look identical to each other except the characters that I thought I will use from my old keyboard, but I can't find any info on whether a different language keyboard will fit f.ex. like mine. But I am going to order one and hope windows take control of the language. 

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:54 PM

Okay, that makes sense now.  You have a Danish keyboard, but can only find an English keyboard to replace it.  Check out to make sure the number of keys match.  In general the keyboards should fit as it would cost the laptop manufacturer more if they had to make a different case for each keyboard.  You're not going to want to swap out the key caps on the keyboards, this is a quick way to break the new one.  You shouldn't need to change anything in Windows if you use an English keyboard.

Is it possible to get a Danish keyboard from the laptop manufacturer?

#9 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:13 PM

I have searched the online shops here at home but there are only for some specific models and seems to be not so popular at shops, and the danish Acer store do not sell keyboards at all.

The picture of the keyboard I intend to buy on Ebay seems to be identical to my keyboard and I believe it is a 100% match. As for the keys I can already take them out (I tried to clean them with air can spray and brush but didn't help) and I believe I can do the same with UK keyboard, as I only need few keys to replace. On Ebay there is possible to find keyboards from both China and UK sellers that fits my model.

Edited by myym, 07 December 2016 - 03:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users