Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Edge downloading with _exe instead of .exe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chakotay2

chakotay2

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:00 PM

Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Home with the anniversary update (and current on all other updates) downloads file.exe as file_exe.

I have posted in the Malware log forum and they believe my PC is now clean.

I have reset Edge using both methods mentioned here: http://www.howtogeek.com/237527/how-to-reset-microsoft-edge-in-windows-10/

I'm stuck... any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:24 PM

I moved this to General Security from WIN 10 as they may advise you to run the CryptoPrevent tool
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:10 PM

Perhaps Edge is doing this by design/intentionally, to force you to rename it , hopefully considering the validity of the download source and potential for damage in order to run it at all?

EDIT: (A quick Google search of your symptoms and solutions via Google says if there are *any* pending Windows updates, this is indeed default IE/Edge behaviour.....)

Edited by MDD1963, 04 December 2016 - 09:14 PM.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 chakotay2

chakotay2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:11 PM

No, it happens when I try to download thinks like malwarebytes, adwcleaner, jrt. I think I'll just do a reset on Windows. Thanks for your help.

#5 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:18 PM

And, alas, until you download and install pending Windows updates, as long as some are pending, the results will be the same (if using IE/Edge).

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#6 chakotay2

chakotay2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:22 PM

Updates were current.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users