Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for the Equivalent of Easy Transfer Between Win 7 & Win 10

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:18 AM

I've got a new laptop coming today which has Windows 10. I would like to do the equivalent of a Windows Easy Transfer but the other laptop involved has Windows 7. I have a Seagate Expandable 1 T External Hard Drive on which I have stored the contents of my libraries. Those files will be transferred to the new machine.

Here's my question: In lieu of being able to use Easy Transfer, where else should I go to locate other items that would have been  transferred via Easy Transfer, such as wallpaper and icon layout and exactly how would I get that data into my external, and where would I install it on the new one? 

I've recently done a Windows Easy Transfer between two laptops with Windows 7 and that went smoothly. I'd like to replicate that experience between Win 7 and Win 10 if possible. Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:02 AM

This is paid software. I have not used it but a poster on the site used it to successfully move the programs and data from one computer to another. You may want to contact Laplink's support site if you have any questions. It looks like the pro version is the one that can move from one OS to another.

http://www.laplink.com/index.php/individuals/pcmover-for-windows/feature-overview

#3 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:10 AM

Thanks. I've also heard of a program called Zinstall. However, I was hoping to do it manually with the assistance of my external hard drive. I already have my libraries copied, I was looking for whatever else I should copy into the external that would simulate what would automatically be done, were I able to use Windows Easy Transfer. I need to know what else besides libraries I should bring with me to the other laptop, where to find it, and where to dump it into the new machine. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:35 AM

Most of your users setting are in the registry. That would be difficult to manually transfer. Your data such as browser bookmarks and personal data would be in the USERS directory as you already know. Did you export your browser bookmarks?

I did find this page and in a comment it seems the license for PCMover is a one shot deal. Not good. Look at the comments.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/options-moving-your-files-apps-and-personality-windows-10-pcs

This link explains what is copied but I do not know how you would do it manually.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/question-about-what-data-easy-transfer-moves/25cc2f18-bb8c-4649-b620-0dde44313083

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 December 2016 - 11:37 AM.

#5 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:40 PM

Regarding browser bookmarks, I'm using Google Chrome. I've been led to believe, and I'd appreciate it if you could verify this, that my browser info, including bookmarks is stored by Google and when I install Chrome in the new laptop, everything will be restored, in lieu of an actual sync like Firefox sync. I synced with that last week between two laptops with Firefox browsers. It went well except for an endlessly repetitive list of bookmarks that kept changing every time I opened either browser. When I'd delete them, more would appear. Drove me crazy. That's why I dumped Firefox for Chrome. Hopefully, nothing like a sync will be necessary.

I guess I'll have to be content with being able to transfer libraries in bulk. It has to be easier than last time when everything had to be imported individually because I was unaware of the ease of external hard drives. Thanks for your assistance. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:05 PM

Yes, if you have bookmarks synced to a Google account you should be fine. It is also easy to export the html file under the bookmark manager or Chrome.

Just remember that Windows 10 disables libraries by default.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/introducing-windows-81-how-get-back-libraries-file-explorer

#7 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:20 PM

Great anticipation! I would have gotten to that point and not known how to find the libraries in Windows 10. I assume that I just drag and drop from the external just as I did to the external on the old one once I restore the Libraries tabs in the Directory. That's a major pitfall avoided. I am aware of how much time I would have wasted trying to find them unsuccessfully on my own before I contacted the forum again. Thanks a million. Tips like that smooth out the road substantially. If there are any other tips you could share, I'm always listening. 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

That's about all I have other than make sure you have any email backed up if using an email client. Also if you have Office you can retrieve the key using produkey. 

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

#9 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:56 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but "email client"? I'm not sure what you mean when you say I should back up my email. What would I have to do? I don't think I've ever done that before, but it's been a while, save for using Easy Transfer. 

Also, and I believe I know the answer to this one already: Is my license for Word 2013 transferable to my new laptop? I've got a lot of documents in my library that were written on Word 2013. At worst, Word 2016 is only $90. I guess I'd have to spend that in order to be able to open a lot of docs if I can't transfer the license. 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:17 PM

I believe your Word license is transferable, You may need to contact Microsoft. If you use webmail like Gmail or Yahoo mail then you do not have an email client. This would be a program on the computer that would retrieve email from your account and place it on the computer. 

Note. If you hare not a heavy Word user and you cannot transfer your license look at the following free alternatives.

LibreOffice

WPS Office

Softmaker Office Free.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/25e780d5-720f-462f-8387-218d1f17d85c/how-to-transfer-office-2013-license-information?forum=officeitpro

#11 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:26 PM

One deal breaker question: If I choose  WPS Office, for instance, would it be able to open existing documents which were written using Word 2013? If so, I could be interested in that, although $90 is less for Word 2016 than I paid for 2013. I think that was $129, or something like that. Not bad if I don't have to keep changing laptops, assuming it isn't transferable. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as the transfer progresses. The Acer hasn't even arrived yet. Thanks again for your time and insight. I'll be anxious to see your response regarding being able to open existing Word docs with other programs. 

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:41 PM

Yes, you can open Work 2013 documents. I can't say all the formatting will go over but out of the three WPS is very compatible with Office documents. You can install it on your old computer and open a few documents to see how it goes.

#13 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:32 PM

I took your advice and downloaded WPS Office on this one and it opens Word 2013 docs perfectly. I didn't look it over very well. My interest was mainly its ability to open Word docs, but from what I noticed it's laid out pretty similar to Word, surprisingly similar in fact. Thanks. It's a viable alternative to paying for Word 2016 if I can't transfer the license. 

#14 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,976 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:59 PM

That's about all I have other than make sure you have any email backed up if using an email client. 

Also, even that may not be necessary unless you are using POP access.

If you've been using IMAP all of your messages are still retained on the server side.  I am endlessly testing various e-mail clients, and on different platforms, and I can nuke my account from any one of them, or all of them, and if I create it again it's as though it never went away (other than needing to re-download the most recent message bodies or any ancient ones I may access).

IMAP has so many advantages over POP, and synchronized access across multiple devices and "back up" being a built-in feature of server-side long term storage of messages are two of the biggest.

Also, since free and/or open-source office suites have been mentioned in this thread as well, OpenOffice is another good one.

I have never had any issue reinstalling Microsoft Office on a new machine when someone upgrades their hardware so long as the license key is available.  If you have a single user license all you need to do in order to stay legal (and you should) is to uninstall Office on the machine being disposed of before installing it on the new machine.  You can also contact Microsoft Support if you have an issue when doing this and they will reset the "install count" if necessary if you're willing to state that you are not violating the license terms you agreed to.

Edited by britechguy, 03 December 2016 - 12:02 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#15 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:46 AM

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I'll check out OpenOffice. 

I have another question concerning transferring files. I have iTunes on this laptop and will have it on the new one. Although I copied everything in every library into my external hard drive, isn't it true that my iTunes library will be restored as soon as I download iTunes on the new laptop and logon? My library is backed up to iCloud. Will transferring my files from my external confuse the issue if iTunes will do it anyway?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users